5 Reasons Why We’re Obsessed With Reality TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Reality TV is considerably one of the most watched genres of television today. One thing that we know for sure is that it’s painstakingly addictive; but have you ever stopped to wonder why we love it so much? Here are a few reasons why reality TV is our obsession:

Let’s face it: celebrities are basically these mystical creatures that we’ll never be able to actually know. No matter how much we want to and think we do, it’s never going to happen so reality TV is the fix.

It’s entertaining. Most, if not all reality TV shows are hilarious! Spending some time on the couch to laugh at other people is necessary.

It’s interesting. We get to learn about a number of lives, in almost too much detail.

It’s awkwardly inspirational. We watch people who have and get to do whatever we might not be able to ourselves. It keeps us dreaming and working.

Last but certainly not least, the DRAMA. Watching someone else’s life crumble into what they think is a complete mess is so much better than paying attention to our own issues for a moment.

Reality TV takes us out of our own world and gives a moment to focus on someone else’s for once. We get to stop, watch, and relax. Who wouldn’t be obsessed with that?

*All GIFs used in this article were found HERE.

Ellanje Ferguson

U Mass Amherst

Ellanje Ferguson is a senior Journalism and Communications double-major at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She serves as the current Campus Correspondent-President and was the former Head Photographer and Social Media Director of Her Campus UMass Amherst. She has a large interest in writing, social media and fashion editorial work. She loves to write and give style advice! Aside from this, she enjoys blogging, listening to music, and of course - shopping.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst