you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Reasons Why Being a Writer Is the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Good writers have a talent with words and imagination. Whether you’re a journalism, English, or science major, it’s definitely an amazing skill to learn to compose your thoughts into wonderful pieces of writing. Here’s 5 reasons why being a good writer and pursuing a career in writing can rock.

1. You’re the boss

When I discuss authors or any TV screenwriters with my friends, someone will mention how powerful these writers must feel, having the control of every one of our beloved characters. As a writer, they decide every storyline, piece of character development, and how certain characters will meet their end. We even go as far to call them “mini-gods.” This is probably why so many people feel the draw to writing. Whether it’s creative or professional, a lot of power falls into your hands. Having the job to put your own words into a story, article, or script in an amazing experience definitely does make you feel like a “mini-god” of the paper.

2.  You have countless options 

As a writer, the career paths we have ahead of us are numerous. When we’re younger, we pictured writers as the people behind our favorite books, unaware of how limited that view was.  Once we grew up, we find out writing can not only lead us to being creative, but to journalism, communication, business, and politics.

Along with all these different career options, it’s also possible for writers to spread out their ability to multiple projects. Many writers work on their own books along with their job, making their dream of being an author a reality while carrying on their day-to-day jobs. 

3. People look to you

The one thing that is absolutely true about writing is that people are always looking to you. Whether it’s for entertainment, communication, or news, people rely heavily on writers.  Every article and speech was created by a writer, along with every movie and television script. It’s hard to look anywhere without seeing the impact writers have on everyone. 

4. You are your own teacher

One of the fun parts about being a writer is learning from your past stories. While writers look towards other writers to learn from the best, one of the coolest ways to learn is to look back your own stuff. It’s cringe-worthy sometimes, but you can see the mistakes you made and since you have grown as a writer, you know exactly how to fix it. It’s a tough process to accept, as no one really wants to look back, but all that looking back actually helps us out in the end.

5. It can be rough, but it’s worth it

As any writer will tell you, writer’s block is real and it is mean. You can have the story from start to end planned perfectly, but the second you sit down in front of the computer, those words can’t seem to travel to the laptop. It is an awful spot to be in, and even the best writers struggle with it from time to time. I’m looking right at George R.R. Martin for this one.

No matter what you’re writing about, you want it to be perfect and something that everyone will want to read.  With all that writer’s block comes a piece of writing that is a great read and as anyone knows, once good writing is published, people love it.  All that time and effort spent into your writing finally pays off.  

Photos: 12, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anastasia Armstrong. English Major at UMass Amherst.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst