5 Reasons Why Argo Tea Is the Hidden Gem of UMass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It would be an understatement to say that the people of UMass Dining Services are proud of their status as number one in campus dining. When The Princeton Review awarded UMass the top spot in the country, banners were plastered everywhere celebrating the accomplishment, and the food somehow got even better. While the dining halls offer scrumptious options as part of our meal plans, students still struggle to budget their dining dollars each semester as they’re drawn to popular, on-campus cafes like Roots and Blue Wall. However, there’s a new spot on campus and it’s still relatively unknown. It’s called Argo Tea and let me tell you, this chic little cafe is the next big thing on campus.

1. The Atmosphere

If you’re a fake-healthy person like me, then you’ll love the atmosphere at Argo. This cafe provides the caloric count of every item on the menu but when you’re in the presence of the lively decor and smell of freshly baked muffins, you’ll readily reward yourself for going to that spin class at the rec center … once… two weeks ago. Argo’s modern wall decals and funky pastel-colored chairs make you feel clean and fresh the minute you enter.

2. The Convenient Location

While Argo is situated right next to Pita Pit, it’s also about a 30-second walk from Berk. Its prime location in Southwest means that, after you break a sweat hiking back home from your lecture in the ILC, you can make a swift stop in and pick up your favorite drink.

3. The Hours of Operation

Monday through Friday, Argo is open from 9 a.m. to 11:59 p.m., and Saturdays it’s open 12 p.m. to 11:59 p.m. It’s glorious, simply glorious. If you’re totally bummed that you have too much homework to go out on a Thursday, you can snag a late night tea or muffin and feel sorry for yourself as you watch drunk kids feasting on chicken fingers and fries at Pita Pit.

4. The Menu

It’s no secret that food anywhere on the UMass campus is delish, but if you’re tired of your usual lunch consisting of a wheat wrap from the Berk sandwich station, there are tons of options at Argo. From tomato and swiss paninis to warmed croissants, the menu offers a wide selection of options for even the pickiest eaters. And you can’t forget the drinks! Argo has everything from black tea coconut bubble teas and fruity hibiscus tea squeezes to green ginger kombucha and chocolate mint “teappuccinos.”

5. The Diversity of Patrons

Depending on the day and time that you visit, there could be totally different crowds inside of Argo. For example, on a Wednesday night of finals week, the cafe transforms into a study hub. Students sit studying independently or conversing with a group at tabletops covered in open textbooks and laptops open to Moodle. However, on a Sunday morning, those same tables are occupied by small groups of friends lazily chatting about their previous nights and sipping their matcha vanilla lattes.

Images/GIFs: 12, 3, 4, 5, 6  

julia tasiopoulos

U Mass Amherst

University of Massachusetts Amherst 2020
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst