This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

For years, the iconic show Sex and the City starring Sarah Jessica Parker as Carrie Bradsahw, Kim Cattrall as Samantha Jones, Cynthia Nixon as Miranda Hobbes and Kristin Davis as Charlotte York has been a longstanding hit series that in my opinion, never lost its sparkle and continues to speak to viewers. After almost 15 years since the last episode aired, the show still holds vital lessons any young woman can appreciate and for this reason still keeps the show relevant in the world today. 

carrie bradshaw i live here
New Line Cinema

While withstanding the test of time, this show depicts the dating game in a lens that is still fitting. It is a hard, difficult and defeating place. That is, the dating scene. The women in the show constantly discuss and gossip about their dwellings in the dating game. The struggle to find Mr. Right is one shared among so many. This struggle is still one so many can find themselves relating to.

A second reason this show has aged beautifully, is its depiction of friendship . The four women never forget they have each other. Their entire professional and romantic life could be blown in pieces and their friendships never fail to hold whatever is left together. Sex and the City built a family from these four girls. Throughout the series, viewers see these women fall in and out of love, get married and divorced, have kids, and all in all live life while still remaining the closest of close. This depiction itself holds viewers love and attention. 

With this image of friendship, another reason peaks through. With the women relying so heavily on each other for advice, the dialogue and events that pop up like in reality are shown. Knowing the women love each other as family, this show never sugarcoats this love too much and rather keeps it real by showing the lows of friendship. The four women each share their own opinions and even fight on occasion. This is normal, and in my opinion, captures the true essence of differing views. For this, reason three this show stays relevant today is this depiction of the realness of friendships. 

Manhattan bridge seen between buildings
Photo by Mario Cuadros from Pexels

Another reason this series stays relevant is because the New York lifestyle is one that for years has been romanticized and dreamt of by so many men and women. The night life, the shopping, the brunches, the different restaurants, seeing people you know randomly know walking on the street. All these charming images are shown in action. This show very much held the New York life to the highest of standards and therefore is fun to watch and dream of one day experiencing. 

The final reason that can be attributed to this shows success all these years, is the fashion in it never dies. From designer pieces and the conversations of various shopping rendezvous, the show once again lets the viewer dream of such a life. Not only that, but it also makes for very amazing inspiring looks and outfits.

That about wraps up the five reasons I believe this show can be considered relevant today. But, in reality, there are so many more. This only makes me now wonder, will this show ever go out of style? 

Logan Lornell

U Mass Amherst '22

Logan Lornell is a Senior at UMass Amherst and is a communications major with a psychology minor. Logan has a passion for beauty, fitness, health, fashion and travel. She is excited to be apart of Her Campus and to share her thoughts and experiences on a range of topics.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst