5 Reasons Jess Glynne Should Be Your New Girl Crush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you haven’t heard of Jess Glynne, you will soon. She’s taking the music world by storm. She got her start in the UK and is now coming over to the States to share her talent.

1) She’s featured on the hit single: “Rather Be” by Clean Bandit

First of all, this song was immediately number one in the UK after it was released in January and it’s an absolute jam. I don’t know about you all, but I can totally see myself bumping this song on my way to the beach, windows down, shades on. Clean Bandit is a British electronic band and Glynne brings a little something extra to the table with this song, taking over the spotlight. Her vocals are on point and the song definitely warrants a head bop.

2) She plays well with others AND can handle the solo scene.

Make way for another jam, Collegiettes! Glynne takes control and goes solo in this one. The video itself is awesome, especially with the black and white shots mixed with bursts of color here and there.  It’s the kind of song that makes you want to swing your hips a little and sing out the “oooooh’s.”

3) She’s had no vocal schooling and still sounds amazing.

Glynne can sing it loud and absolutely rocks it. She has a rough, strong quality to her voice and it makes for a great sound, which she claims to base off of Amy Winehouse, one of her favorite singers and biggest inspirations.

4) She loves Frank Ocean and Beyoncé.

In an interview with Capital Xtra radio in London, Glynne said that at some point in the near future she would love to work with these two artists. And honestly, who can blame her? No one knows how to belt it out like the Queen or sing smooth like Frank. Glynne said that if she were ever to form a super group, it would be with Beyoncé. But Glynne made it clear that she would be the leader, not Beyoncé. At least we know she has big dreams!

5) Her unique style is so cool.

Rock that red curly mane, Jess. Take a look at that cheetah print Minnie Mouse coat: isn’t it fabulous? A pop of red lipstick should be a girl’s best friend and she certainly knows how to rock it.

Check out Jess Glynne, Collegiettes, and start following her story! There’s an album in the works so make sure not to miss out on this amazing singer.

Photo Sources: 12, 3, 4.

Hi! I'm Katie and I'm a sophomore at UMass. I'm a Journalism and English major.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst