The Lalaholding Beaker
The Lalaholding Beaker
Her Campus Media
Life > Experiences

5 Pieces of Advice for Incoming Female STEM Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As a biomedical engineering major, I have encountered the struggles of being a female STEM student. I know how intimidating it can be to walk into a classroom and be able to count the number of females on one hand. On the other hand, it is incredibly empowering knowing that you are contributing to the rise of women in STEM careers. Here is some advice on how to feel like you belong in your STEM classes.

XzERUnx8qL6MwNVSNyTn Xok HBlDugWEqp2 X 9p6O9bC6QLnzx2RSo6fxf hZSIH6Xaz0tMmDHbIiZ87fzUhDohmmQIu5z4 83rSDiKQGSgKnkFa3Fz4qgfn2M yzyjRVEGK7K=s0

Tip #1: Walk Into Class with Confidence

It is totally normal to feel uneasy walking into your classes. I promise that if you walk into your class with confidence, you will be much less stressed during class which allows you to focus better. Finding confidence is a really difficult thing to do. (Trust me, I know.) Listening to my favorite songs on the way to class or even just putting on a cute outfit makes me feel so good about myself and gives me the confidence to walk into class with my head held high.

Tip #2: Do Not Be Afraid to Be Uncomfortable

STEM classes are no joke. They can be extremely challenging, but you always have to keep your goals in mind. If you really want to be successful, you have to put in the effort and constantly remind yourself what you’re working towards. Take every opportunity in front of you. Never underestimate your skills. You are capable. Use your discomfort to propel yourself forward.

Tip #3: Get Involved with STEM and Female-Run Student Organizations

It is not uncommon to find yourself in class questioning, “Why do I need to know this information? How can this be applied on a jobsite?” Luckily, there are many clubs on campus, such as Engineers Without Borders, that provide you with tangible applications of the material that you learn in class. In addition, joining female-run organizations is a great way to meet your female peers, which you may have a hard time doing in your classes. Clubs like Association of Women in Science and Society of Women Engineers are built off of strong, independent women with similar interests and help form a sense of community.

Tip #4: Start Your Assignments EARLY

I know that nobody wants to start their assignments the day they receive them, especially if they’re not due for a week. But believe me, you have a week to do them for a reason! Even if you do not start working on them the first day, at least open the assignment to see how much time you should block off to complete it. The earlier you start, the earlier you can ask for help, and you will be so relieved to have done so.

Tip #5: Ask for Help When You Need It

You know yourself better than anyone else. The second that you feel that you are struggling in a class, make sure you seek help! The material builds off itself and it often gets more difficult as the semester progresses. Office hours are so beneficial and the professors are there to help. If your schedule doesn’t line up with theirs, try emailing them and setting up a private session. Most professors are super accommodating and want to see you succeed.

YD7FHVSHwgfXEiK2hJxDyvMqzV27spjKQGVE80viZBlvKX8eW9uYk33YnSlcw4DTJ6PqrbBPRaIdCl6qdMkBcj6Pgyx8ooIP BhSENxcxNDckxCihsUhRSnhrE 1F7pMCuJUMAwl=s0

Being a female STEM major is incredibly hard work, but it is so worth it! Never give up and always remember how powerful you are!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Serena Chiasson

U Mass Amherst '24

Serena is a sophomore at UMass Amherst studying biomedical engineering.