This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Looking to make the switch? Here are some of my favorite beauty products that don’t use animal testing. 

e.l.f. Cosmetics Eyeshadow

The very first time I tried e.l.f. makeup was when I was 12 and trying to put together a makeup look for Halloween. I wanted to try some eyeshadow that wasn’t too expensive, and saw some e.l.f. shadows that were only about $6. This was perfect since I was looking for some darker shades for a smokey eye look. I haven’t tried all of e.l.f.’s products, but this is a great brand to try out when looking for some cruelty-free and vegan makeup. 

Anastasia Beverly Hills Lip Gloss 

This is one of my favorite lip glosses because of its formula. I love how this gloss sticks onto your lips. It adds a good amount of pigment while also not being too sticky. The color stays on for a good amount of time and doesn’t dry up your lips. I’ve definitely gone through a couple of tubes of this. My favorite shade is called “vintage” and it’s this beautiful dark blush pink color. 

ColourPop Eyeliner

ColourPop makeup was one of my favorites to shop at growing up because of KathleenLights from YouTube. She would always use their products in her videos and even has a line now. I love ColourPop for not only their animal cruelty-free stance, but also their affordability. Their makeup is high quality, but also a moderate price. My favorite recent buy was their pack of pastel eyeliners for $27. This pack has the cutest colors and came with six eyeliners. Outside of the bundle, each eyeliner is $7. Similar to e.l.f. Cosmetics, ColourPop is also vegan. 

Glossier Cloud Paint

Glossier does not do animal testing and has some vegan options. The first time I bought from Glossier was from their pop-up shop in Boston. After seeing countless ads for this shop all over my Instagram feed, I was super excited. I love their products for their versatility, as well as how light they feel on my face. This cloud paint is one of my favorite products because I’m able to use it as a blush and an eyeshadow. The formula feels similar to their lidstar product, except without the glitter. Both of these can definitely be used vice versa, where the lidstar could be used lightly as a highlight too. Their cloud paint is currently $18, and I think it’s worth it for their unique product. Unlike most blushes, this one is liquid, which makes its application a lot easier.

The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Mask

The Ordinary products make skincare affordable and effective. This mask is only $7 and works wonders. The brand does not test on animals, but it’s not fully vegan. However, it’s important to note that their parent company, Estēe Lauder, is not a cruelty-free company. This peeling mask is a chemical exfoliant. I first tried it in the summer last year, and I loved it. I still use it about twice a week, and it makes my skin feel so soft. 

What are some of your favorite cruelty-free products? 

Caitlin Lu

U Mass Amherst '23

Caitlin is studying Marketing as a sophomore, and she enjoys making youtube videos, trying a new workout class, and learning about photography.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst