This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I would never consider myself a film buff but, at the same time, I love movies. I think about them a lot and the impact they have on my life. I quote movies, I recommend them, and sometimes love to talk about them, but often I struggle putting into words how much certain movies mean to me. I’m only 19 right now, and there is a lot left to learn about who I am; however, I want to use this article to take the time to try to put into words the impact these movies have had on my life and how they shaped me into the person I am today.

crowded movie theatre
Photo by Erik Witsoe from Unsplash

1. School of Rock

This movie represents family to me in the sense that it brings my four family members together in a way that no other movie can. I was young when I first watched the movie and even after 200 times later, I still laugh and cry like it’s the first time! My dad used to work in the music industry, so I grew up around music. A movie like this one not only perfectly encapsulates the way that music can bring people joy, people together, and give people an escape or a voice, it also does so in a very open minded way. We see multiple different perspectives funnel into a common space and shared love for music, and the way that you can find yourself through that. As a young kid, I didn’t play an instrument like the kids of Horace Green Prep did, but I did have a love for music that I used to get closer with people who shared my music taste and celebrate a language that is so universal. Sorry to those around me, but I will never stop quoting School of Rock.

2. Dead Poets Society 

Oh goodness, it’s really hard to put into words what this movie meant to me in April of 2020. Yes, it did indeed take me that long to watch it, but anyway. After my freshman year of college I was really lost. I really didn’t know what career path I wanted to pursue, but one night my family sat down together to watch this classic movie. Not only was it a rare moment that the four of us agreed on a movie, it was a moment that I realized I truly wanted to continue with writing and journalism. It’s so cheesy to say but it was just pure passion that I saw from the students in the film that reminded me how powerful writing can be. It was a moment I will never forget, and one that I pay gratitude to whenever anyone asks why I want to be a journalist or writer. 

3. Kicking and Screaming

This one is a little less serious, but nonetheless, very important. The Kesin household loved sports and Will Ferrell movies, and although a lot of movies fit into those two categories, this one just had a special impact on my family. The sports aspect, the humor and the family dynamic that mirrored mine really made for a movie that never failed to make me laugh. I quote it constantly, like I do School of Rock, and I find joy in sharing a love for this movie with other people.

4. Juno 

I first watched this movie a while ago, but then watched it again in my women’s studies class junior year of high school. This may seem super weird at first as to why this movie shaped my life, but my reason is very specific. The quirky atmosphere and very artsy vibe not only reflects the music taste and personality of my family and I, it also held significance fashion wise. The character Juno is not very feminine in societal standards of women’s clothing. Juno dresses in big sweaters, t shirts, long jeans and in converse. As someone who struggled to find their way and fit the societal norm of “flattering outfits” all throughout high school, I finally saw someone who could dress similar to me. Bleeker loved Juno unconditionally for who she was, and didn’t see her “vibe” or “less feminine” outfits as something bad, but rather a true reflection of her as a person.

5. Lady Bird 

You are probably seeing this and saying to yourself, “ugh so basic,” and yes I get that, but I promise my reason isn’t as basic as it may seem. This movie deserves all the praise it gets and is somewhat of an overused example of a coming of age film for our generation, but the timing of this movie is what made a big impact on me. I watched this in theaters on opening night with my brother, grandmother, and parents, just a month after my grandfather passed away. The way in which Lady Bird showed a family that just operated differently, made me feel seen and I felt like my family was reflected on screen. It’s ok to work and have a different way of living life than your parents or your siblings, and even when that happens, it doesn’t mean there is any less love there. I think I noticed how differently I was coping with death compared to members of my family, and the timing of Lady Bird reminded me that there is no one way to live life, and the way in which each person chooses to live is specific to them, and who they are without the intentioned of being compared to someone else. 

I could end this with a bunch of fun quotes, but I want to pick one that is the background of my phone and means the most to me. 

“No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world,” – Mr.Keating, Dead Poets Society

Rock on.

Movies image
Myke Simon

Lulu Kesin

U Mass Amherst '23

Lulu is a senior double major in journalism and communications. Some of Lulu's passions include wearing patterned pants, dancing in the grocery store, watching coming of age movies and advocating for female equality in the sports industry.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst