5 (More) Reasons to Love Andrew Garfield

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.
We know him from The Amazing Spiderman and The Social Network, but how much do you really know about this English-American actor? Here are five more reasons you should be crushing on Andrew Garfield.

1.Beginnings in Theatre

Andrew Russell Garfield intended to study business as a teenager. Born in America, raised in the UK, his first experience on stage was at twelve years old in a local community theatre in Surrey, England. He began to seriously consider pursuing a future in acting at age sixteen, and later he graduated from Central School of Speech and Drama in 2004. 

That same year he won the Manchester Evening News’ “Most Promising Newcomer” award for a performance in “Kes” at the Royal Exchange Theatre, Manchester. Later in 2007 he shared the London Theatre Critics Circle “Most Promising Newcomer” award with Connie Fisher. 

2. His Next Film

Garfield is currently wrapped up in the shooting stages of a Martin Scorsese film called Silence based on a book published in 1966. The film is set in the seventeenth century, and follows two Portuguese Jesuit priests as they travel to Japan as missionaries, where they discover the existing Christian population driven underground by alarming religious persecution. Garfield will star as Father Rodrigues, alongside Liam Neeson and Ken Watanabe. The movie is set to be released in 2015.

(If you were skeptical when you saw him come out with that beard – rest assured that it’s all in the name of filming Silence and will most likely not become a permanent facial feature.)

3. Arcade Fire
Andrew raised eyebrows after a collaboration with Arcade Fire was released in May 2014. In a music video “We Exist” from the Canadian band’s new album Reflektor he plays a transgender woman. The actor is a known supporter of the LGBTQ community. Some criticized the choice, saying the band should have chosen an actual transgender woman to portray the role. Arcade Fire frontman Win Butler defended the decision to feature Andrew in their video, explaining that for young fans worldwide to see “Spiderman” in that role could be really powerful

You can check out the video here: 

4. His Girlfriend

Introduced in October 2010 during casting for The Amazing Spider-Man, Garfield and Emma Stone had immediate chemistry. Already popular as individuals in the public arena, they have maintained their status as a favorite celebrity couple since they started officially dating summer of 2011. This may have contributed to the success of the Spider-Man sequel released this summer, and already generated excitement for the third installment, scheduled to begin production in 2016. 

You might remember when they made headlines when they advertised their two favorite charities with paper signs for paparazzi to capture, instead of themselves. 

5. Charity Work

The paper bag paparazzi stunt is just one example of Garfield’s dedication to charity work. He works closely with notable charitable foundations including Stand Up To Cancer, Starlight Children’s Foundation, and the Worldwide Orphans Foundation (WWOF). He appeared on Ellen and showed off some dance moves in order to raise money for WWOF. 

(peep the beard)

Keep up the great work, Andrew! 

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Photos: 1, 2 (article cover photo – 3 )

Gifs: giphy.com
Katie Donegan

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst