This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As someone who loves listening to all types of music (except Country, sorry!), I strongly believe that language should never be a barrier when it comes to enjoying new music. Music can transcend language barriers and convey emotions through voice and instrumental. K-pop music has a lot to offer, especially the girl groups. When I listen to these girl groups, and to these women singing about being confident in their bodies and overcoming difficulties, it inspires me to do the same. Here are five songs by girl groups that empower me.

Two people listening to music
Via Nicholas Githiri on Pexels

1. “LA DI DA” – EVERGLOW

According to Genius, “LA DI DA” is described as “an uptempo synth-pop track with an infectious 80’s retro sound.” The song perfectly captures the feeling of an independent, strong woman who is done with toxic relationships. The girls sing “got no time for haters” to the players and are unapologetic about wanting to move on and be happier. To block off all the unnecessary commentary from people who don’t matter, the girls sing “la di da.”

2. “Wannabe” – Itzy

I strongly recommend watching the music video for “Wannabe” by Itzy. One look from Ryunjin (the fierce girl with short blue hair) while she does her popular shoulder dance, and there’s no way you won’t fall for her charms. Itzy is a fairly new girl group that debuted in 2019, but they are already known for being a group that sings about being confident in themselves and encouraging their audience to do the same. The girls are all fairly young and attract a younger audience as well, but I think we can all learn a thing or two from how empowering their lyrics can be. The girls sing “I don’t want to be somebody, just want to be me”, encouraging people to love your individuality and to worry about themselves and what makes them happy.

3. “No” – CLC

“No” is described as “a dance song with a unique texture of synth bass and dynamic bass line.” The song talks about rejecting the things society tells them they must love as women such as lipstick, heels, and accessories. As women, they feel that if they were to wear those things, it should be because they are interested in those things, not because society says they should be. The line “I love me, I like it” expresses the feeling of loving the way one looks when you’ve chosen your own style. They say “if you don’t like it, forget it,” only wear the things you like, express yourself in your own way, and don’t let the world define who you are.

woman dancing in front of white wall
Priscilla Du Preez - Unsplash

4. “Pretty Savage”- BLACKPINK

You know if a track starts with “BLACKPINK in your area” it’s bound to be a hit! “Pretty Savage” is the third track off of BLACKPINK’s first full album, “THE ALBUM” and it’s a fan favorite for the iconic lyrics. BLACKPINK is known for being a strong girl group that often sings about being a bad b*tch! “Yeah we some bi**hes  you can’t manage” is true, BLACKPINK is one of the most successful girl groups in the world. It’s empowering to see a group of women who dominate the music industry and do it in style.

5. “I Am The Best”- 2NE1

2NE1 may have disbanded in 2017, but they will forever be remembered for being a girl group that constantly delivered iconic chart-topping hits, flashy music videos and incredible live shows. “I Am The Best” is one of the most memorable K-pop songs ever released due to its catchy lyrics and fun dance. The song may be pretty old, but its message of loving yourself and being bold will forever remain relevant.

Want to listen to these songs on your own time? Here is a Spotify playlist link!

Shermarie Hyppolite

U Mass Amherst '23

Shermarie is currently a senior at UMASS Amherst double majoring in Communication and Journalism with a concentration in PR and is a part of the Commonwealth Honors College. When she is not writing pieces or doing homework, she is listening to k-pop music, reading, ranting about Beyoncé, and scrolling through Tumblr and Twitter.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst