The Lalawine With Friends
The Lalawine With Friends
Her Campus Media

5 Hors d’Oeuvre recipes to inspire a richer life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Recently, I’ve found a love for cooking. I’m beginning to understand how rewarding it is to stand in the kitchen for an hour, only to eat for 15 minutes. Cooking is an art form! It’s a creative way to enrich experiences with friends and family, and to dedicate time to yourself. To pour your attention into a delicious creation that will feed your body and soul is a beautiful form of self-care. The following recipes have become some of my favorites and are even more special when you share them with those you love. Inspired by French elements and classic appetizers, please enjoy the wonders of your kitchen.

Smoked Salmon crackers

A simple and lovely spread that takes a classic salmon and cream cheese blend to the next level.

Ingredients:

• Smoked salmon
  • Cream cheese
  • Garlic clove
  • Honey
  • Herbes de Provence
  • Salt
  • Dill
  • Brioche toasts (crackers)
  1. Mince the garlic clove into a pan with olive oil and let simmer. 
  2. Mix together cream cheese, Herbes de Provence, and salt. 
  3. Spread this mixture on your chosen number of crackers and lay a pinch of the cooked garlic on each spread. 
  4. Separate salmon slices and lay them down on the prepared crackers. 
  5. Drizzle honey over the salmon and place a small piece of dill on top.
Pickled Red Onion Slaw

Twist the classic salad appetizer into a colorful and rich experience. 

Ingredients:

• Red onion
  • Apple cider vinegar
  • Water
  • Salt
  • Maple syrup
  • Broccoli slaw
  • Toasted sesame dressing
  • Soy sauce
  • Sriracha mayonnaise
  • Sesame seeds
  1. Simmer the vinegar, water, salt, and maple syrup in a pan. 
  2. Slice the onion very thin and place in a jar.
  3. Pour the pan mixture into the jar and set aside for 30 minutes.
  4. In the meantime, mix together the broccoli slaw, toasted sesame dressing, a splash of soy sauce, and a heavy drizzle of sriracha mayonnaise in a bowl. Separate the slaw onto plates.
  5. Strain the onions and place a small handful on each plate. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top.
Lamb and Chèvre

Working with tender meat, smokey herbs, and a creamy French cheese is the greatest way to level up your cooking game. 

Ingredients

• Boneless lamb leg
  • Herbs de Provence
  • Chèvre (goat cheese)
  • Artichoke antipasto
  • Olive oil
  • Two garlic cloves
  • Shallots
  • Rosemary
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F or above, depending on your lamb size.
  2. Place the lamb into a deep pan and gently massage the Herbs de Provence into it.
  3. Spread artichoke antipasto on top, then spread the chèvre. The two ingredients can overlap and sit alone in some areas.
  4. Slice shallots and garlic cloves, then place them around the lamb, sprinkling some on top. 
  5. Pour olive oil over the lamb and into the pan.
  6. Place a large branch of rosemary on top. 
  7. Bake for 30 minutes for every 500g of lamb. The inside of the lamb should reach 135°F, though the temperature will increase at its resting.
  8. Slice into thin to medium-sized pieces and place them on a plate with a small branch of rosemary on each portion.
Baked Camembert with pear

Another classic, this baked cheese dish brings the sweet into the savory for a creamy, soft blend.

Ingredients

• Camembert cheese
  • Thyme
  • Garlic
  • Pear
  • Honey
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
  2. Mince garlic and sprinkle on top of the Camembert with thyme.
  3. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the inside of the cheese is warm and gooey.
  4. Slice the pear.
  5. Plate the baked cheese and organize the pear around it.
  6. Drizzle honey over everything!
Anchovie and brie on baguette

Pull together the complementary elements of fish, greens, and cheese onto an all-time favorite bread.

Ingredients

• One tin of Anchovies
  • Brie
  • Herbes de Provence
  • Honey
  • Grape tomatoes
  • Arugula
  • Pesto
  1. Pan-fry the anchovies.
  2. Slice the tomatoes in halves and the baguette into rounds. 
  3. Sprinkle the Herbes de Provence and honey into a bowl of brie. Warm the mixture in the microwave for one to two minutes.
  4. Spread the pesto onto each baguette slice and place the arugula and then the tomatoes on top. 
  5. Scoop the brie onto each slice and top off with a small piece of anchovy.
  6. Drizzle honey overtop, of course.

Our lives are busy and our time is precious. Nevertheless, it’s important to find time to dedicate ourselves to creativity and the art we feed ourselves. Bon appétit.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Bella Giordano

U Mass Amherst '24

My experiences in journalism and psychology keep me motivated to find new opportunities where I can continue cultivating these skills. In my free time I find myself consistently creating passion projects, further exemplifying my love for what I do. You can find me cooking, podcasting, writing, or out for a run!