This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s officially spooky season and you know what that means: tricks, treats, and movies that make you want to sleep with the lights on for the next month. For some, horror movies are a huge “hell no” but for others it’s a quintessential part of Halloween. As a freaky film fanatic myself, I’ve put together a list of some of my favorite movies that’ll have you reaching for a nightlight and some holy water. 

1. The Shining 

When people think of classic horror movies, The Shining is usually one of the first films that comes to mind. Originally a novel by Stephen King, The Shining tells the chilling story of a man named Jack Torrence who accepts a job as the caretaker of a Colorado hotel during its offseason. Jack’s family accompanies him for the duration of the job, however, Jack’s son, Danny, begins noticing that living in this hotel is anything but a vacation. Creepy visuals and jumpscares galore, The Shining is sure to get you in the Halloween spirit. 

2. The Witch 

For any New Englanders, The Witch is guaranteed to make you want to pack your bags and move as far away as possible. This movie takes place on a small New England farm but it is anything but charming. If watching a Puritan family get psychologically tortured by the paranoia of there being a witch in their family appeals to you, then this movie will make your night (or ruin it). 

3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 

Another classic, A Nightmare on Elm Street, is one of the most essential Halloween horror movies and has been giving people nightmares *shocker* since 1984. This film follows a group of teenagers that get stalked and tormented by the infamous Freddy Krueger. For any slasher or gore fans, A Nightmare on Elm Street will definitely suffice. 

4. Us 

Comedian and actor, Jordan Peele, made his film directorial debut with the psychological thriller, Get Out in 2017. Two years later, Peele introduced us to the stuff of nightmares with his film, Us. This movie kept me awake at night for well over a month after viewing it. This movie tells the story of a family being hunted down by their murderous doppelgangers. Us makes looking in a mirror just about the last thing you’ll ever want to do again. 

5. As Above, So Below 

I came across As Above, So Below one night on Netflix when I was in the mood to be a little spooked. Little did I know this movie may have been more than I had bargained for. The story focuses on an alchemy scholar named Scarlett who is determined to finish her late father’s life mission of finding the philosopher’s stone. In order to do this, she gathers a team together and they embark on a hellish journey through the Paris catacombs.

If any of these movies sound interesting to you then I highly recommend you grab some friends to watch them with you when Halloween rolls around! Trust me, these aren’t movies you’re going to want to watch alone . . . happy spooky season, everyone! 

Photos/GIF sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,

Danielle Jin

U Mass Amherst '20

Dani is a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in English with a double minor in psychology and education. Aside from writing for Her Campus, Dani loves being with her friends, hiking with her dog, marathoning bad horror movies on Netflix, and eating unhealthy amounts of Haagen Dasz green tea ice cream. Right now, she's just trying to figure out her next move post-graduation :)
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst