5 Heroic Dogs Who Will Melt Your Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

These five fearless – and adorable! – canines prove to really be “man’s best friend” with their heroic actions. Even a cat person would love these dogs!

1. This playful pup is Geo, a seven month German Shepard-Collie puppy. He sustained a broken leg, broken spine and internal injuries when he pushed the 10-year-old son of his owner out of the way of a moving truck, and took the impact himself. 

2. When intruders broke into a family’s home in downtown LA, their dog, Charlie, and two other dogs faced them down. Four shots were fired, one hitting Charlie in the leg. Her fearless actions were not without consequence; she did have to have her leg amputated.

3. Psycho, a ten pound Chihuahua-poodle mix, jumped between two young girls and venomous rattlesnake, and ended up getting bitten himself. Luckily, the girls were unharmed. The girls’ grandmother and Pyscho’s owner says the heroic dog would probably do the same thing again if he had to. Thankfully, the dog recovered well.

4. Ever heard of a dog performing the Heimlich? Toby, 2 year old Golden Retriever, saved his owner when she was choking on a piece of apple, by knocking her to the ground, and jumping on her chest until the apple dislodged, then licked her face to keep her from passing out. That is one smart dog!

5. A retiring guide dog, Orlando, saved his blind owner, who fainted on a New York City subway platform and fell into the tracks. The black lab jumped onto the tracks after his owner, and both managed to miraculously survive.

Photos:1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Irina Kovari

U Mass Amherst

I'm a senior marketing major at UMass, with a passion for writing and equal rights. I'm on MASSPIRG at UMass, drink too much caffeine, and eat too much chocolate.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst