5 Hairstyles to Withstand UMass Wind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We all know what a giant pain the wind on this campus can be. Not only can it make a nice day a freezing one, but it makes for serious hair trouble. Here are a few fun hair tricks to try and keep the hair under control on the windiest of days.

1) The Braided Bun

Begin by pulling your hair back into a high ponytail. Then braid the hair in a regular braid or a fishtail braid as shown above. If you like, you can pull at the sides as demonstrated for a fuller looking bun. Continue by wrapping the braid around the base of the ponytail and finish by securing it in place with bobby pins.

2) The Knotted Ponytail

Start by pulling your hair to the side and separating it into two parts. Tie the two parts into a knot. If desired, tie two or more knots. Use a small clear elastic to hold the braid in place. You can tease the end of the ponytail for a more messy effect.

3) The Heidi Braid

Start by making two regular pigtail braids. Pull one braid across the top of your head and secure it on the opposite side with bobby pins. Pull the other braid across your head and secure it in front of the other braid. Add additional bobby pins if it’s extra windy.

4) The Tucked-In Bun

Begin by pulling hair into a ponytail and securing it with an elastic at the nape of your neck. Separate the hair just above the hair tie. Take the ponytail and pull it through the separated space to give the style the twisted effect seen in the first picture. Take the ponytail and wrap it around your finger, pulling the hair towards your head. While your finger holds the hair in place, secure the opposite side with bobby pins. Then do the same to the other side.

5) The Boho Up-do

Begin by placing a thin headband around the top of your head. Secure it with bobby pins if necessary. Then take the front pieces on both sides and begin tucking them into the headband until you reach the back of the head. Take what is left of the hair and fold it forward. Depending on the length and thickness of your hair you may have to do this more than once. To finish, tuck the hair around the headband and secure with bobby pins.

Happy Hairstyling, Collegiettes!

Hey all! I'm a sophomore here at UMass Amherst. I'm an English major and Education minor, and I'm psyched to be a part of Her Campus!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst