The 5 Google Tools You Should Take Advantage Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Email

Self explanatory, but you can log into multiple emails and have different emails for different purposes, such as a school email, personal email, business email, and any other type that seems important to you! When typing an email, it automatically saves it as a draft after a few moments of typing in case you accidentally exit out or something unforeseen happens. Don’t forget to make folders within each one to keep your mail organized.

Drive

This is my favorite tool on Google. You can easily do group projects without having to meet because everyone can edit one document, PowerPoint, spreadsheet, form (to create surveys), or drawing (to create diagrams and flow charts) at the same time while instant messaging in a chat feature. It’s easy to navigate between documents you created and ones that others shared with you, or find them all in the same place in order in ‘recent.’ If you create something in docs, you can save it onto any computer, too! No need for zip drives anymore.

Calendar

Organize your life with Google! Create repeating or one-time only events with the title, time, and location. Color-code them. Make calendars of different categories that you can view separately or together. View a day, week, month, four days at a time, or in agenda format. You can even sync it to your phone and have it notify you when you have to be somewhere. Never be late or lost again! I use this to put my class schedule, work schedule, and gym schedule all together!

Hangouts

Have voice and video conversations just like on Skype, but with multiple people! It’s like a virtual party. You can even chat from your phone.

Maps

Type in where you need to go from a specific location or from your current location. You can add multiple points in between if you need to stop along the way. It will tell you how to get there and how long it takes by car, bus, walking, and biking. It even tells you different bus routes. This is especially helpful if the UMass Bus Track app confuses you as much as it confuses me.

You can always count on Google! No wonder Fortune ranked them the Number One company to work at in 2013.

Karen Podorefsky

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst