5 Festive Things to Do in Eastern Massachusetts This Holiday Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Whether you need some added holiday cheer or just love Christmas, I’ve got you covered. Here are five of my favorite things to do in and around Boston while I am home for winter break. I have done every one of these activities at least once over the past few years, so I highly suggest checking them out if you can!

the holiday market at snowport

Boston, MA – The Holiday Market in Seaport was one of my favorite events last year, and they have brought it back for its second season. They have over one hundred vendors this year, mostly made up of local businesses and holiday gift booths. The walkways are decorated and lit up by Christmas lights, and there are plenty of photo ops like the mistletoe archway, “Present Place,” and massive Christmas tree.

They also have a ton of food and drink options, with a holiday cocktail bar for those 21+ and a heated tent for seating. There is truly something for everyone here and it is the perfect place to buy gifts for your family and friends. It is a super cute place to explore if you are ever in the area, even if you don’t want to buy anything.

zoolights at the stone zoo

Stoneham, MA – From now until January 8th, the Stone Zoo will be lit up by thousands of Christmas light displays around the usual animal exhibits. Tickets are around $20 per person, which gives you access to explore the zoo and all the holiday activities.

All the light trails are walkable, making it a more interactive experience than drive-thru light shows. There are also multiple lantern displays set up along the paths for the perfect Instagram opportunity. I always do this one with my family and it is such a fun way to get into the Christmas spirit.

Skating at frog pond

Boston, MA – have been going ice skating at Frog Pond ever since I was a little kid, and it is still probably my favorite holiday activity. The trees light up at night and there is a cute cafe to warm up in when you need a break from the cold. They even had free admission for UMass students on December 12 this year!

If you want to make a night out of it, I highly suggest checking out the Christmas tree and Boston Blink show in Faneuil Hall, which is coming back for the first time since the pandemic. They have Christmas music playing in sync with the lights show, which adds some extra fun when you are shopping around in the city.

Rockefeller ice rink and Christmas tree in New York
Elizabeth Tait
winterlights

North Andover, MA – The Winterlights show at the Stevens-Coolidge House and Gardens has a beautiful lights display along the garden trails with even more new paths and displays this year. Tickets also include a tour through the historic home which is decorated for the holidays. If you haven’t heard of the Stevens-Coolidge House, it is sort of like a museum/restored historical home. They have amazing garden tours in the warmer months, but I always love visiting during the holiday season.

Winterlights also offers displays in other garden properties in Stockbridge, MA and Canton, MA if you live closer to those areas, which run through January 7 this year.

Fenway holiday markets

Boston, MA – Throughout December, over 40 pop-ups filled with local small businesses will gather around Boston in different locations depending on the date. Every business featured at this event is women-owned, so it is a great way to show support around the holidays and buy a gift for someone you love.

The event is totally free, so even if you aren’t up for more Christmas shopping you can still walk around and enjoy the live music and holiday treats.

With the end of the fall semester, I hope you found some winter activities to look forward to if you live locally. It’s time to get into the Christmas spirit!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Victoria Enis

U Mass Amherst '24

Victoria is a junior marketing major at UMass Amherst.