Life > Experiences

5 Festive Drinks for Your Next Halloween Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

So, you want to throw a killer Halloween party: your costume is perfectly planned, the décor is up, but you don’t know where to start on drinks. Fear not! Here are five festive drinks guaranteed to make your next Halloween banger a spooky success:

1. Spooky Sangria

This one’s pretty simple, but perfect for freaking out all your party guests. You can use any basic red wine-based sangria recipe you like to make the drink itself. Once that’s done, pour it in a big punch bowl and get creative. Add fun little trinkets such as plastic eyeballs, spiders, skulls, and fangs. Unleash your inner vampire with this blood-red drink full of festive creepy crawlies.

2. Harder Hard Cider

This drink is delicious and only calls for two ingredients: apple cider and Fireball whiskey. Apple cider is a classic fall drink, guaranteed to make you feel cozy – but feel free to swap it our for hard cider if you want an extra kick. Fireball may get a bad rap sometimes, but it has that signature cinnamon flavor that mixes in to this drink perfectly. Play with the portions until it’s to your taste, then serve it either hot or cold (I prefer hot) for that perfect fall flavor.

3. Candy Corn Jell-O Shots

These shots take a little work, but the result is so worth it! You’ll need the standard Jell-O shot ingredients, but make sure you get cups that are taller than normal, so that you can layer the different colors of Jell-O; try some like these.

Now comes the fun part! Make each layer one-by-one, starting with white, and filling each cup 1/3 of the way. Chill it for an hour until firm, and then repeat for the orange and yellow layers. Although making these shots is a little time-intensive, in the end you’ll have the most festive Jell-O shots ever! Almost too cute to eat…almost.

Make sure to follow a complete recipe with exact measurements and all!

4. Scary Shaped Jell-O Shots

On a similar note, if you don’t have the time (or desire) to deal with the hassle of making separate layers of Jell-O and letting them cool, there’s an alternative: super simple Jell-O shots that don’t even require cups! What you will need though, is a Halloween-themed silicone ice cube tray. There are plenty of different shapes, whether you’re looking for ghosts, brains, or tombstones. Check out Amazon for tons of cute trays to choose from. Then just follow your favorite Jell-O shot recipe and pour the mixture into your ice tray instead of a cup. When they’re firm, pop them out and serve! People will be talking about your spooky creations for weeks to come.

5. Pumpkin Spiked Lattes

What’s a pumpkin spice latte without a little Bailey’s? Yep, this drink is that simple! This time of year, Starbucks sells bottled pumpkin spice latte that you can get at most grocery stores. Mix it with some Bailey’s Irish cream (either the classic kind or seasonal pumpkin spice flavor – the choice is yours) and voilà! Again, this one can be served hot or cold depending on what you’re feeling, but I say the warmer the better. Let loose with this signature autumn flavor! 

Halloween is coming up fast, so now that you have plenty of drink options to choose from, put your bartending skills to the test. Your party guests will thank you later!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Maria Arvanitis

U Mass Amherst '19

Maria is a senior studying psychology and English at UMass Amherst. She has a passion for traveling, animals, and 80s movies, and her hair color is always changing. Find her on Instagram: @m.ria