This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Anime consists of an exceptionally wide range of genres, sub-genres, tropes, and more. Most beginners start out by watching the most popular shows like Naruto, Attack on Titan, and Death Note which are binge-worthy, fast-paced, and plot-heavy series. Here is a list of chill, feel-good anime that most beginners wouldn’t think to watch, but are so worth it!

Tanuka-kun Is Always Listless (2016)

This is a slow-paced, chill, high school anime. As the title suggests, the main character, Tanaka, is an extremely lethargic high school student. He falls asleep anywhere and everywhere and superbly avoids situations where he needs to do anything physical. He is super chill, laid-back, and quiet. And then there’s Oota, his resourceful classmate and friend, who is constantly looking out for Tanaka. Tanaka’s interactions with Oota, his classmates, and his sister are hilarious and worth watching. Overall, this show is wholesome and funny, and you will be sure to break into goofy smiles at Tanaka and Oota’s endearing friendship.

School Babysitters (2018)

School Babysitters is the most adorable anime ever created. Ryuuichi and his baby brother, Kotaro, reside in their school’s principal’s house after their parents tragically die in an accident. In exchange for free housing and tuition, Ryuuichi has to work in the “Babysitter’s Club” where he takes care of teachers’ kids. This show is full of heart-warming moments between siblings, classmates, parents, and of course, the babies! The show also features bittersweet scenes of Ryuuichi helping Kotaro come to terms with the fact that he will never see his parents again. It is the perfect show to watch with family and friends!

Yuri On Ice (2016)

Yuri, a figure skater, is conflicted about his career after he faces a crushing defeat at the Grand Prix Final in Russia. However, his imitation of the famous figure skater Viktor Nikiforov catches the latter’s attention, after which he offers to coach Yuri. This show has wonderful animation and music! Every character is complex and their inner monologues are thoroughly explored. Viktor and Yuri’s relationship is a fan-favorite! They have a distinct dynamic that cannot be explained in words. Overall, a beautiful show and I highly recommend!

Horimiya (2021)

Hori is the most popular girl in her class. She’s got perfect grades and an outgoing personality. Miyamura is a meek and quiet boy in her class. However, an unexpected meeting between the two reveals that their school personas are mere facades. Horimiya is a cute rom-com with loveable characters and relationships that you want to root for! The show makes ample room for character depth and growth (even for the side characters!) and has a unique sense of humor. This show is perfect for romance lovers that prefer less drama and more comedy!

Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun (2014)

The show follows Sakura, a bright and bubbly high school student, who is head over heels for her classmate, Nozaki. In her attempt to confess her love for him, she accidentally discovers that the oblivious Nozaki is in fact, the author of a best-selling manga series. Since he operates under a pen name, Sakura is one of the few people in their school to know his other identity. This anime is absolutely hilarious and will not fail to leave you in tears (of laughter) with every single episode!

These shows are perfect for beginners to explore the unique themes and tropes in anime without getting too overwhelmed by thick plots and action-packed scenes. Which one on this list is your favorite?

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Pooja Panuganti

U Mass Amherst '24

Pooja is a sophomore business major and YA romance books are her guilty pleasure!