This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Anyone else feel like anything over free is way too much of an investment?

Collegiettes, I hear you. Trying to buy something cute for your six-month with your partner or show your mom you appreciate her with a sweet Mothers’ Day gift is all really difficult when you don’t have many resources to work with.

But no worries, ladies. Here are a few gift ideas you can easily pick up in your area that won’t be breaking your bank anytime soon:

1. Mason Jars Filled with Snacks, Crafts, or Centerpieces

Munchies-filled mason jars are the perfect, inexpensive gift for a friend, partner, or parent. You can pick up an empty one just about anywhere (Consumer Crafts sells them for $1.17), then just splurge on a few of the recipient’s favorite treats, fill the jar to the top if you can, and you’re done! Super easy and simple, and the recipient will especially appreciate it if you personalize your jar of treats with some of their fave snacking go-to’s (anything from Butterfingers to Greek yogurt works, as long as you keep in mind spoilage).

If you’re a little more crafty, pick up a few raw materials at your local craft store and fill your mason jar with something special. Either way, you have a really aesthetically-pleasing, sweet little gift.

2. Alex and Ani Bangles

With tons of options to choose from, you’re bound to find an appropriately-themed bangle at your local Alex and Ani store for any occasion, and most aren’t over $30. Each one has a brief exposition of its meaning and a short list of relevant words and themes: very often inspiring, earthy, tranquil words that make the gift sweet and sentimental. So if you’re looking for something stylish for your best friend’s 20th, or want a little something that Mom can wear and think of you, an Alex and Ani bangle will do the trick.

Use the store locator online to find the Alex and Ani shop nearest you. For you UMass Collegiettes, there’s a trendy little A&A shop in Hampshire Mall by J.C. Penney.

3. Edible Arrangements

Uh, who among us wouldn’t be psyched to get a giant tray of chocolate-covered strawberries as a gift… Anyone?

Didn’t think so.

Edible Arrangements tends to be a little on the pricier side, but you can grab one of their more inexpensive options, like a simple Chocolate Dripped Strawberry Box (comes with 12) for $29.99. If you save a couple of dollars here and there a few weeks before the event, hopefully it won’t be too much of a stretch. And if you’re ordering a set for Mothers’ Day, you could always split the cost with your siblings or another family member (or if the recipient’s a friend, split the cost with a mutual friend). The recipient’s still happy, and you only had to pay $15. Plus, they’re not gonna need all 12 strawberries, right…

4. Small Home-Décor Items

You can easily find a simple succulent, flower pot, some scented candles, even a cheap, small jar filled with sea glass or shells – just about anywhere, including your local Target. Running from really cheap to super pricey, a sweet little addition to your friend’s dorm room, or something your mom can add to the table in the hall, is always a simple, thoughtful gift option.

I picked up this faux-succulent and a few other home décor items for only a few dollars each at my nearest Target, and they had a bunch of options to choose from to suit your own style. I chose a faux succulent instead of springing for a real one because it gives the same effect, minus the work. Trendy little faux-succulents, cacti, etc. are great options for a friend who might not have the time or willpower to spend keeping something alive.

5. Bath and Body Works Body Lotions, Soaps and Fragrances

Bath and Body Works has a ton of different products that you can mix and match depending on your favorite scents, and they all run relatively cheaply. A $6 fragrance mist here, a $12.50 body cream there, and you’ve got a cute birthday-Mother’s Day-anniversary care package ready to go. This is a really easy, fun way to get someone a few different products at once for a special occasion, and the recipient will most likely really appreciate your going out of your way to pick out a couple of little items for them.

Good luck Collegiettes, and happy sales-hunting!

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.

Danielle Rivera

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst