This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Fall season calls for comfort romances, gothic horror, existentialism, and everything that makes you curl up under the covers and be transported to another world. Here are five cozy fall reads from a variety of genres, to fulfill your fall fiction cravings.

Pumpkin Everything by Beth Labonte

In this book, horror novelist Amy Fox goes back to her hometown of Autumnboro, New Hampshire to check on her injured grandfather. With a canceled wedding and a phobia of anything pumpkin spice, she must navigate life back home — and reuniting with her childhood best friend, Kit Parker.

This book is perfect for fans of the second-chance romance trope! It is sweet and warm with a hint of a kick — just like a pumpkin spice latte! Perfect for when you want to curl up under the covers for a comfort read!

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

A library between life and death, with limitless shelves and an infinite number of books that shape endless possibilities — what could your life have looked like had it been any different? Nora Seed must explore the library to find the life she truly wants to live.

This is one of the heavier books on this list, one you can immerse yourself into completely. It contains themes of fantasy and philosophy, and has great writing. It delves into the subjectivities of life and will have you thinking about it for a long while.

The Burnout by Sophie Kinsella

Sasha can’t deal with work or relationships anymore. She decides to escape to her childhood beach resort — but it’s off season, and she has to share her favorite rock with a grouchy guy, Finn. They have nothing in common, yet there is this energy developing between them.

An opposites-attract romance, with two characters with severe burnout, looking for closure by reconnecting with their childhood memories. This book is also hilarious, with the main characters’ out-of-pocket antics and dialogues. It is a lighthearted and romantic read, perfect for the fall!

The Ex Hex by Erin Sterling

Vivienne Jones is left with a shattered heart, and like any other sensible witch — she curses the breaker of hearts boyfriend. Rhys Penhallow, said breaker of hearts, returns to their town for an annual fall festival. But this time, Graves Glen is in “grave” danger, forcing Vivienne and Rhys to team up and save their town, and of course, break the break-up curse.

A funny, goofy, swoon-worthy read for when you want something simple and easy to get through. It reminds me of Hocus Pocus, but with a whole lot of romance!

Our Hideous Progeny by C.E. McGill

Mary Frankenstein, niece of the missing Victor Frankenstein, and her husband are aspiring palaeontologists. Mary and Henry create a Creature to prove to their contemporaries that they are competent palaeontologists. However, conflicts arise with Mary and Henry’s differing intentions regarding their Creature.

A retelling of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, this book has many great themes — feminism, science and ethics, queer identity, and a dash of gothic flavor. It is a compelling read with human characters and lush writing!

These books are only a few of the many amazing fall reads out there! Which one is your favorite?

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Pooja Panuganti

U Mass Amherst '24

Pooja is a sophomore business major and YA romance books are her guilty pleasure!