Life > Experiences

5 Core Memories of UMass from a Graduating Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re like me and graduating this spring, chances are you’re also feeling a little nostalgic for all the memories you made during college. Amherst has become a home for me, so it’s impossible not to reminisce about everything that made me love it so much. So, now that it’s time to say goodbye, here are just a handful of my core memories from UMass:

listening to students play the pianos around campus

I don’t think many people know this, but hearing students play the communal pianos essentially settled my decision to come to UMass. During my first tour of UMass, I heard someone playing the piano in the Campus Center, and again in the lobby of Hampshire Dining Hall. I decided that I wanted to go to a school with students who were outgoing and creative and UMass encouraged them to do so. Maybe it’s cheesy, but it’s true. And, sure, it’s annoying when I’m trying to study in the Student Union and someone suddenly decides to whip out some Bach, but it certainly makes it interesting.

late night at the old Worcester dining hall

Now, all of you underclassmen probably don’t know, or maybe you’ve been told, that before there was a shiny new Worcester building, there was an outdated, musty building that was Worcester Dining Hall. It was old, chaotic, and loveable all at the same time, and it was the perfect place for my freshman self and friends to enjoy late night with all the other kids who were there for the vibe. Walking into Worcester during late-night was like walking straight into a fever dream. It was the island of misfit toys while the other side of campus cramped into the small crescent of Berkshire. It was an enigma, but it was great.

Listening to harry styles’ album fine line for the first time during finals week

Imagine this: you’ve spent all night studying for your first college final. You’re finally leaving the library at 12 a.m. to get some much-needed sleep while your friends stay just a little longer. It’s snowing, and you’re admiring the twinkling lights of Du Bois as you begin your walk back to the dorms. You reach for your headphones, open your phone, and see Harry’s newest album has just been released. You’ve been waiting over two years for this. You hit play and the opening notes of “Golden” twinkle soft and bright in your head. It’s December 13, 2019. The snow dusts across your hair. Everything’s alright.

sitting on o’hill to watch the sunset

During my first year, I lived in O’Hill, and let me tell you, there is nothing like catching a stunning Amherst sunset on the hill during a warm spring evening. Sitting with my friends and watching the sun slowly sink below the horizon was always the perfect way to end the day. I’ll never forget when I was surrounded by people that I loved, hanging out and laughing on the hill until the air grew chilly and we’d head back to our dorms.

Riends Pizza College Party Food
Molly Longest / Her Campus
post-bar antonio’s

A classic. There’s something comforting in the fact that no matter how the night goes, Antonio’s will always be there for you by the end of it. It’s a special kind of feeling, when a weekend night out winds down while you and your friends collectively demolish pizza in comfortable silence. I remember watching the stars, the moon full in the sky, and just taking it all in as my friends and I waited patiently for the bus, pizza warm in our hands.

I’m so grateful to have made so many wonderful memories at UMass, and I’m even more grateful for my friends (who are more like family) who’ve stuck with me and supported me these past four years. Coming to UMass was easily the best decision I’ve ever made, and as much as I’m sad to leave, I have even more happy memories to look back on for the rest of my life.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Isabelle Gross

U Mass Amherst '23

Isabelle is a senior at UMass Amherst and a New Yorker at heart. She majors in French Studies with a minor in Linguistics. Her interests include (but are not limited to) reading, writing, and traveling. She hopes to help create a world of acceptance and kindness through storytelling.