girl lounging relax 3
girl lounging relax 3
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus

5 Books/Series to Read During this Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With quarantine and working from home, some of you may have a lot more time on your hands which makes it the perfect time to go back to old hobbies or start new ones. One way to fill your time is by reading. Remember that series that you never really had the time for because it was too long. Well now is the perfect time to read it! Here is a list of books and series that are perfect to read during the quarantine.

Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas

This is my current quarantine read and I am obsessed with it. I am on the last book of the seven-book series and I seriously cannot put it down. The first book in the installment is about a young assassin, Celaena Sardothien, who is given the opportunity to win her freedom by competing to become the King’s Champion. To work for the man who took everything from her. Her family, her friends, and her freedom. The series follows Celaena and her journey as she faces her past and embraces it while also finding love and friendship. This story of magic and adventure is one you don’t want to miss!

She Said by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey

This is a nonfiction book that is a great example of investigative journalism. This is the story of how Harvey Weinstein’s career was dismantled and how the #MeToo movement was born. The book discusses how the journalists were able to expose Weinstein and his horrible treatment of women. The book also discusses the aftermath of the movement the original article created and how women were coming out and sharing their stories. Harvey Weinstein was finally prosecuted for his crimes earlier this year so if you haven’t read She Said yet, now is a perfect time. 

woman holding up me too sign
Photo by Mihai Surdu on Unsplash
Shatter Me Series by Tahereh Mafi

I’m going to be honest, I haven’t finished this series yet, but I can assure you I will be finishing it very soon because it is a thrilling series that left me wanting more after each book. The main character Juliette can kill anyone with just one touch. This curse got her to put into an insane asylum where she became completely isolated. This isolation caused her to go a little crazy and after almost a year, the Reestablishment decided that Juliette would be the perfect weapon. The book has strike-throughs that show how warped her mind has become from isolation. As the series continues the strike-throughs decrease as she gains mental stability until eventually there are none. This six-book series with several novellas is intense and will pull you in immediately from the first chapter.

In Five Years by Rebecca Serle

This heartbreaking rom-com is a story that you are sure to fall in love with. After just getting engaged, Dannie Kohan wakes up the next morning five years in the future next to a man who is not her fiance and wearing a different ring than the one she went to sleep in. After an hour in the future, she wakes up again in her home and finds that she can’t shake this “dream”. This novel about romance and friendship is one that you’re not going to want to put down. 

woman reading a book on a couch in a library
Via Seven Shooter on Unsplash
A Court of Thorns and Roses Series by Sarah J. Maas

This is another series by Sarah J Maas and just like the Throne of Glass series, it is amazing. The main character, Feyre, is hunting in the woods one day when she sees a wolf. Needing to feed her family, she kills the wolf despite thinking it might not be a wolf at all but instead a mythical creature, fae, in disguise. After returning home with the wolf, a beast bursts into her home demanding she pays for killing the creature. The beast takes her away to another land where she is to spend the rest of her mortal life. This Beauty and the Beast like tale is full of adventure and shows the characters’ shift from hate to love. This four-book series is one you definitely need to find time for during this quarantine.

I hope you choose to read one of these suggestions because they are all great books and I couldn’t recommend them more.

All images courtesy of the Her Campus Image Library.

Samantha Butts

U Mass Amherst '23

Samantha is a junior at UMass Amherst studying English and Journalism. She enjoys reading, fashion, watching movies, thrifting, and going out with friends. She is passionate about women's rights, the environment, and politics.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst