This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With everything going on this month, I discovered that the best thing I could do to relax my mind and ease my tension would be to settle back into my couch with a cup of tea and go back to one of my favorite hobbies – reading. Due to classes and the various other things that tend to eat away my time as a college student, often I can’t even seem to remember the last book I read that wasn’t assigned for one of my classes. This month, I’ve aimed to change that and revisit something I used to love doing before I was buried in classes. I am proud to say that I’ve read two books this month already (baby steps) and I’ve focused my reading a lot on feminist literature and books centered around women. Sound like something you’re interested in? Check these out, maybe one of them will become your new favorite! 

We Should All Be Feminists – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie 

Adichie writes eloquently with a little splash of humor here and there. The book basically covers the well-known 21st description, although she changes it around to make it something that everyone can understand. The best part of this book was how she writes about not only her experiences developing as a feminist and going through discrimination in the United States but also in her home country of Nigeria. Even if you’re new to feminist literature, this little guide by Adichie will enrapture you throughout. Still interested in more of Adichie’s work? She’s also done a Ted Talk, which her book has been adapted from. Check it out if you like her writing, you won’t be disappointed. 

Little Women – Louisa May Alcott 

This is one of my absolute favorite books of all time. I remember reading it as a child and wishing I could read it over and over again just to experience the feeling of going through the story. The story intertwines the lives of four sisters and their mother, living in Civil War times. The characters are written so poignantly, each with an intensity of their own throughout the novel. I love that it takes a realistic look at what it means to be a woman, what “A woman’s duty”, meant in that era, and how it is completely okay to deviate from the norm. I highly recommend the movie as well. 

Becoming – Michelle Obama 

Do I even need to explain why this is on the list? Michelle Obama is a complete queen and will forever be my favorite First Lady. In the book, she goes over her life as a child, growing up, and her experience as being part of the first Black family in the White House and things she was able to accomplish and implement as FLOTUS. It’s a fantastic read, and if you love Michelle Obama, you will love her even more after finishing this book (which I had no idea was even possible). 

The Joy Luck Club – Amy Tan 

This book is a phenomenal read about the intertwining lives of eight Chinese women – four daughters and their mothers. The book highlights how intergenerational traumas can often get passed down, how differences in culture between two vastly different countries on either side of an ocean can cause rifts in relationships, and so much more. The characters are each unique with a separate storyline, and you as the reader get to follow several journeys back and forth from China to the United States and back again. Tan is an amazing storyteller and she crafts each separate narrative without getting them confused.

A Thousand Splendid Suns – Khaled Hosseini 

This is a novel by one of my absolute favorite authors of all time, Khaled Hosseini. The story takes place in Afghanistan and follows two women who are vastly different, united only by their common husband and the atrocities he commits. The story examines what it means to be a woman in a completely different way than I’ve ever read before, and it shows the importance of supporting your fellow women when they need you the most. Once you start reading it is absolutely impossible to put down, and it constantly has you on the edge of your seat, mirroring every single emotion of the main characters. This is my favorite book that I have read to date, and all of Hosseini’s other books are meant checking out. 

These books are incredible, all centering around amazing, resilient women with individual stories to tell. I have truly found so much peace and joy in immersing myself in their worlds this month, and I know I will continue to keep up with reading as I go through the rest of my semesters in college. How about you? I hope this list can get you started! 

Rachel Prince

Amherst '22

Rachel Prince is a senior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is part of the Honors College, majoring in Neuroscience with the hope of becoming a doctor later in life. She loves playing the piano, creative writing, singing, and riding her bike at sunset. When she is not busy hanging out with her friends, she is planning out her next roadtrip, creating smoothie recipes, or trying to a find a new book to read.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst