This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I love reading, but lately, I’ve been struggling to find the time. However, with Women’s History Month coming to a close, I wanted to share a few books by female authors I loved and think you will too!

“Sing, Unburied, Sing” by Jesmyn Ward

This was actually a book I was assigned to read for one of my English courses, but I immediately fell in love with it. The book is beautifully written and discusses the legacy of racism experienced across generations in the United States. I would 100% recommend you add this fast-paced book to your reading list.

“Shout” by Laurie Halse Anderson

Laurie Halse Anderson has been known for writing about and advocating for victims of sexual assault. Her book, Speak, about a girl who struggled to speak out about her experiences, is what first got me into her writing. Shout is a memoir in poetry, where Anderson tells her story and experiences with sexual assault in poems. The book is vulnerable and breathtaking. 

“Normal People” by Sally Rooney

This book made me cry repeatedly. This book is a beautiful modern love story, but it’s also much more than that. The book is about love, yes, but also friendships, growing up, loss, and mental health. The book addresses that relationships are not easy, and it takes time to get them right. The book ends both realistically and a bit hopeful. Plus, Normal People is also a TV show on Hulu, so you can watch it right after you finish!

“The Woman Warrior” by Maxine Hong Kingston

This is another book that I had to read for class, but I totally recommend adding it to your reading list. The book is an autobiography, but it touches on myth as well. Maxine doesn’t just focus on her story, but her mother’s and her aunt’s as well. It is a story of intersecting identities and female oppression. 

“Frankenstein” by Mary Shelley

If you’re into the classics (or are trying to get into them), then look no further. Frankenstein is an iconic story that almost everyone has heard of and has been adapted numerous times. Mary Shelley’s novel was one of the first examples of science fiction, and it will fill you with a lot of mixed emotions. 

I hope you decide to pick up at least one of these books, if not all, because they are wonderfully written stories.

Samantha Butts

U Mass Amherst '23

Samantha is a junior at UMass Amherst studying English and Journalism. She enjoys reading, fashion, watching movies, thrifting, and going out with friends. She is passionate about women's rights, the environment, and politics.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst