The 4th Annual Sisters On The Runway Benefit Fashion Show Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

After a long day of preparation from the hardworking members of Sisters on the Runway, their 4th Annual Benefit Fashion Show proved to be an inspiring success! With the effort and dedication of all the volunteers and members of the club and Executive Board, Co-Presidents Chelsey Powell and Kristina Zoto pulled off a spectacular show.

The night began with a contemporary dance piece performed by the UMass Dance Company. Choreographer and dancer Courtney Armstrong said that she was “super excited to be participating in such a noteworthy event, especially because the cause we’re supporting is so important.” The piece they danced to was Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap, and it was chosen because the dance company believed that it best portrayed what the show was about: “having the best attitude, being in love, being youthful and staying positive.” The girls of the UMass Dance Company were “very proud to be helping SotR.”

Event Coordinator, Victoria Lu told us a little bit about the models that walked the runway: auditions for the models of SotR were held early in the Fall and a variety of girls came forth. Models were picked not only for their ability to strut down the runway, but for their great personalities and their interest in the cause that the organization raises awareness for and supports. Victoria’s favorite part of the entire process is “seeing everything come together, after all of us have worked so hard and for so long; it is truly rewarding to see how our hard work pays off.”

The girls that walked the runway ranged from those who had prior modeling experience, to those who didn’t and simply wanted to get involved with this great cause. Clare Gallogly, a junior majoring in History here at UMass, walked the runway in three stunning outfits (as did all the girls!) and revealed that she was very nervous for her first time modeling. Clare’s most exciting moment being part of Sisters on the Runway was “seeing the actual runway, it seemed so real!” 

Co-President Kristina Zoto and Co-Director of Public Relations and Marketing Caty Kelly, looking absolutely gorgeous in their dresses, spoke to us about how much the project meant a lot to them and how hard they’ve been working. The theme for this year’s show was pastel, as all the clothing that the models wore were pastel colored. The girls said that “this is a great and meaningful cause, and combining it with fashion makes it even more beautiful.” The hardworking members revealed that their favorite moment was handing the check to the representatives of Safe Passage; “the money we raise is for a great cause.”

The night was a spectacle. From the tasty mocktails and delicious desserts that were donated by the UMass Bakeshop, to the photographs on the red carpet, the show went off without a hitch. It was incredible to be part of the audience, and to see such beautiful girls walk the runway with such poise in the clothing that was donated by labels such as J.C. Penney, Rue 21, Urban Exchange, and many more boutiques. 

To learn more about Sisters on the Runway, visit their website or check out their Facebook page. 

Thinking about joining SOTR? Send them an email at umass@sistersontherunway.org!

Irene Tzelalis

U Mass Amherst

I am a junior at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, majoring in Psychology. I was born and raised in Athens, Greece until I came to study in the United States. I have family from New York and Egypt and love different cultures. I have an obsession with clothes and wish I could have majored in Fashion. My hobbies range from online shopping, to reading, to swimming, but I absolutely love writing. I am so excited to be a part of Her Campus UMass.
Andrea Lee is a freshman at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Majoring in Communication, she is planning on pursuing interests in many different fields and taking different classes in order to find what she loves best. Andrea was an editor-in-chief of her high school newspaper, and has loved to write for her whole life. Coming from the small town of Walpole, Andrea was overwhelmed by the large university but has found it to be her new home and loves being on campus.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst