4 Worthwhile GenEd Classes to Take at UMass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With so many different classes offered at UMass, sometimes figuring out which ones to enroll in is overwhelming. Not only are you looking for classes that don’t conflict with one another (and hopefully none at 8 A.M.), but you’re trying to find classes that will interest you. If you’re looking for stimulating classes to fulfill your Gen.Ed. requirements, check out my four suggestions!

1. SOC 103 – Social Problems with Steven Boutcher
This class examines the social issues that society has faced in the past and issues it continues to face today. The class talks about topics such as obesity, student debt, poverty, race, and other thought provoking topics. The class has a good amount of reading, but the books are good reads. Professor Boutcher has a great sense of humor and makes his lectures relatable to the class. Another perk about this class? It fulfills both the SB and U Gen.Ed. requirement. 

2. BIO 106 – Human Biology with Judy Goodenough
Professor Goodenough is extremely passionate about teaching human biology. She presents the material using live examples and skits to demonstrate how things work, and you can tell that she really wants her students to learn. Your grade is mostly based on the tests, but Professor Goodenough drops the lowest grade and gives tons of extra credit points. It fulfills the BS Gen.Ed.

3. PUBHEALTH 160 – My Body, My Health with Daniel Gerber
This class was personally my favorite GenEd I took here at UMass (it fulfills the I Gen.Ed.). This class was required for my RAP freshman year, but I probably would have taken it anyway because it’s one of the most talked-about classes on campus. There are no tests, just short weekly papers based on the week’s discussion and one paper based off a community service project. Professor Gerber keeps the class engaged by talking about relatable topics, like stress and sexual health. Professor Gerber also invites many passionate guest speakers who are awesome to learn from.

4. MUSIC 150 – Lively Arts with Miriam Jenkins
This class will require you to go to events outside of class (concerts, plays, etc.), but it’s worth it. You will learn about all different kinds of art forms. Professor Jenkins brings in a lot of guest speakers who are experts in certain fields, such as a jazz ensemble and African dancers. The guest speakers engage with the class by asking for volunteers. It also fulfills both the AT and G Gen.Ed. requirements!

Good luck registering for classes!
Michele Thorkelsen

U Mass Amherst

Michele is in her third year at the University of Massachusetts, where she is studying journalism and information technology. She is also a brother of Phi Sigma Pi, a national co-ed honor fraternity.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst