nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Tips and Tricks to Landing a Killer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I recently went to the Isenberg School of Management’s HTM Recruiter Panel. This event was put on by the HTM Career Day Committee. This forum was open to any and all majors, and explained tips and tricks for landing a great internship. Here is some advice from some seniors in Isenberg that stood out to me the most.

Do Research About the Company

Whether you are interviewing for a specific position, or even simply walking up to a booth at a career fair, do some research on the companies that you are interested in. This way, the recruiter knows you actually have an interest in the company, and appreciate the time you are getting with them. You don’t have to memorize the history of the company, simply look up some key facts. For example the company’s mission statement and core values are good pieces of information to know.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

Even if you are very confident in yourself and your skills, don’t walk into an interview cold turkey. Take some time and really map out what you want to say and how you want to present yourself. Browse the Internet for common interview questions. Many common questions include strengths and weaknesses, why the company should pick you, and a time you messed up and how you reacted in the situation. Also, don’t be afraid to get help from the school. Help centers like the Chase Career Center and Career Services provide workshops and practice interviews.

Follow Up

After your interview be sure to ask for a business card. This again shows that you have a strong interest in the company. Also, this can come in handy when writing a follow up email. Try to include something you remembered talking about them with in the interview. This will help you stand out. Try to send out this email with 24 hours of the meeting. Also don’t forget about snail mail. Sending out a personalized note in the mail is also a nice way to be remembered.

Ask About Company Culture

If you are interviewing for a full time position, make sure you actually like the company. Remember, picking a job is a two way street. Ask about the company’s work environment and culture. You’re going to be spending 40+ hours a week here, you want to make sure you fit in and feel comfortable

Summer is just around the corner Collegiettes so get your summer jobs and internships in order!

Emma Crowley

U Mass Amherst

Emma Crowley is a Junior at UMass Amherst. She enjoys frozen yogurt, fashion blogs, the smell of fresh cut grass, and endlessly stalking One Direction 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst