This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Lately, I have been into anything that can make me laugh. Whether you’re swamped with school, work, family, or fighting with procrastination and exhaustion, there’s nothing that can brighten your day like a good laugh. It immediately puts me in a happier mindset, and motivates me to pick up whatever I was procrastinating. Humor is a healthy way of processing emotions while releasing tension and frustration. Laughter is the best medicine and standup comedy is a form that blends humor with the truths of the human experience by frank truths, and vulnerability. That’s one of the things I love about it. It’s real… but with a funny and lighthearted twist. I love it so much that recently that’s all I’ve been watching on Netflix. Binging, in fact. So, I’m about to put you on my top 4 favorite stand up comedians list on Netflix. 

Netflix title screen
Photo by Thibault Penin from Unsplash

1. Iliza Shlesinger: Elder Millennial

This woman is hilariously funny and has such a “magnetic-golden-retriever” energy on stage! She puts a nice “real-talk” spin on all her jokes while telling her story. She is not one to sugarcoat what she believes in and is refreshingly blunt with topics like online dating, differences between men and women, and how women were taught to believe in a fairy-tale. She places herself in the role of a makeshift mentor, telling her audience to stop making excuses for men who don’t text back. “If he likes you, he WILL make time. Iliza shares her candid revelations about being a woman all the while hilariously prancing around the stage and rocking it. 

2. John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City

This man knows what he is doing on stage. Hugely talented, funny and confident, all with storytelling that’s delivered with enough poise and self deprecation to ground him in today’s humor (lol). Former SNL writer, John Mulaney is one of the powerhouses in comedy today. Not over the top, but definitely clever and relatable, his stand-up is more than enough to keep the viewers invested. Kid Gorgeous at Radio City talks about his stories from childhood to college to SNL and is a home run movie. If you’re looking to start watching stand up, start here!

3. Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King

Truly, one of my favorite stand up comedy movies to this day. This is crafted towards an audience of “New Brown America” as he calls it and such a realised portrait of the immigrant experience. It was innovative and funny, but also personal and bittersweet. I think he shares a lot of important messages in a lighthearted and humorous way all the while expressing his own truth. He combines broader issues in today’s society while retaining the humor and enthusiasm about finding himself in America. Highly highly recommend.  

4. Taylor Tomlinson: Quarter Life Crisis

This was soo comforting, hilarious and exactly what I needed to watch on a Wednesday night. Taylor goes on about conflicting identities, realistic relationship goals, working on yourself, and how your twenties are not actually “the best years of your life.” Delivering her messages with observational humor, confidence, poise and truth, she captivates the stage and her audience. You will find this one to be the whole package: refreshing, comforting, and a great laugh.

I mean, who doesn’t need a good laugh right now? With all this self isolation and social distancing, the emotional toll is hitting everyone. But if you need that quick pick me up, this is a great place to start!

outdoor movie date
Photo by Roberto Nickson from Pexels

Myna Chadalavada

U Mass Amherst '22

Myna is a senior neuroscience and biochemistry double major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is passionate about her research in emotion regulation and wants to find a way to use her words to change a life. You can find her in the greenhouse, on a rooftop garden writing poetry, the 23rd floor of the library with a book in her hand, or a room with a piano.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst