4 Reasons Why We Will Miss Joan Rivers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Actress, comedian, writer, producer, and television host, Joan Rivers, who died September 4th, will be sorely missed. She was a woman of many talents who taught us that telling it like it is isn’t always a bad thing! Sometimes it can actually get you even farther in life. There is so much to be learned from this woman and there are so many reasons that her memory will continute to live on.

Reason #1: She was hilarious. She knew just how to make people laugh and knew just what to say (even if she was pushing it).

Reason #2: She realized the importance of humor and how it can turn just about anyone’s day around.

Life can be difficult at times, but if you are too serious and too focused on the not-so-good things that seem to come your way, you won’t be able to enjoy life. As Joan Rivers once said, “I enjoy life when things are happening.  I don’t care if it’s good things or bad things. That means you’re alive. Things are happening.” Sometimes the only way to get through a hard time is to laugh, make a joke about it. Nothing lasts forever and things will get better. If you choose to dwell on the bad, you’ll find yourself stuck in a slump that you can’t get out of.

Reason #3: She was witty and sarcastic.  

Reason #4: While everyone else is thinking it, we all have that friend who is actually saying what seems to be on everyone’s mind.  If Joan Rivers was in your clique, she would be that friend.  Joan Rivers was not afraid to speak her mind and was able to capture the attention of so many viewers because everyone loves to hear their opinions (that they wouldn’t normally have the guts to share) voiced.

RIP Joan Rivers. We won’t forget you.

Diana Weinstein

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst