4 Reasons Why Everyone Should Keep Up with Devon Lee Carlson, the Internet’s Long-Standing “It Girl”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I first discovered Devon Lee Carlson on a random Tuesday afternoon, when her “st barts!!!!” video popped up on my YouTube Homepage. I clicked on it, expecting to watch yet another celebrity on a glamorous vacation, but what I encountered was something entirely different. She had something about her, something that made her stand out from other girls on the Internet. So, without further ado, here are my reasons why everyone should keep up with Devon Lee Carlson.

1. She is the Co-founder of wildflower cases

Although Wildflower Cases is a globally known phone case company, it is actually a little-known fact that Devon is one of its co-founders, along with her sister, Sydney Carlson, and her mother, Michelle Carlson. In the “About Us” section of her website, we learn the source of the company’s popularity: a surprise encounter with Miley Cyrus. The family was dining in a restaurant, Devon and Sydney sporting their DIY phone cases made by their mother, when Devon spotted Miley and asked to take a picture with her. When her mother held up her phone to take a picture, Miley inquired about the phone cases, saying that she wanted one. Upon her request, Michelle gave her some extras she had laying around in her bag, which Miley later tweeted about. Devon also recalls that Miley was the one who told her that she could really do something with these cases, namely to start a company. Now, ten years later, Wildflower Cases is one of the fastest-growing phone case companies in the United States.

2. She is a style icon & trendsetter

Devon has a very unique sense of style, always putting together unlikely pieces that somehow work out in the end. In my opinion, her style is reminiscent of Carrie Bradshaw’s from Sex and the City. This is very apparent on her Instagram, where she is most active. Her combinations include spandex shorts with stiletto heels, a mini dress with the words “Don’t Judge a Girl by Her Clothes,” and a camouflage dress paired with heels I can’t even describe in words, among many others. Through her confidence and sense of style, Devon inspires and transforms trends. For example, she wore a colorful bob wig with bangs, an item that is extremely popular right now, three years ago — before many other people were doing it. Scrolling through her posts inspires me to experiment with my own style, without giving thought to what others might think.

3. Her life is endlessly interesting

When I need a break from my school-year routine, Devon’s YouTube channel is the first place I go to. It seems as though she doesn’t have a set routine, like most of us college students are bound to, although some recurring events include shopping hauls, going to pilates classes, and seeing her friends. During the remainder of the time, she travels to Paris, Barcelona, St. Bart’s, London, etc., where she spends as much time as possible exploring, taking pictures, and documenting her experiences. On top of traveling, Devon has also gone to various events, such as concerts, fashion weeks, festivals, photoshoots, and launch parties. She has videos about The Neighborhood concerts; a Reformation shoot; Coachella, Outside Lands, and Camp Flog Gnaw festivals; and Paris and New York Fashion Weeks. Needless to say, her life is full of variety, which I also find inspiring and motivational. Her involvement in New York and Paris Fashion Weeks leads me to my final point: her role in the fashion world.

4. she is a key figure in the fashion world

On top of building her own style, Devon also works with and promotes prominent fashion designers. Her Instagram feed is filled with content for Burberry, Valentino, Yves Saint Laurent, Fendi, Victoria’s Secret, and more. She has her own collection with Réalisation Par, called “Touched by the Hand of Devon Lee.” It includes dresses, tank tops, and T-shirts all named after her friends and family — a detailed touch that perfectly characterizes her. A Marc Jacobs collection also carries Devon’s name, which launched on her 27th birthday. The “Devon Slip Dress” from this collection is even featured in Euphoria, worn by Alexa Demie! A final fun fact is that Devon styled Olivia Rodrigo for her “Good 4 U” YouTube video.  

Devon Lee Carlson’s character, drive, and style shape her into a uniquely inspiring person. She breaks the mold, extending her influence into more and more fresh spheres, slowly overtaking the Internet. Her content is uplifting, inspiring, and interesting — I truly believe we could all learn something new from her.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Andrea Tchesnovsky

U Mass Amherst '25

Andrea Tchesnovsky is a junior Comparative Literature major at UMass Amherst. Born in Bulgaria, she is fluent in four languages and is currently learning Italian as her fifth. Other than writing, Andrea’s interests include fashion, photography, reading contemporary novels, yoga, and traveling!