4 Random Songs I’m Obsessed with Right Now (& Their Lore)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I’ve noticed that lately, I’ve been finding more and more playlist-worthy songs by accident, simply out in the wild. And, since I’m no gatekeeper, I thought I’d share some of my favorite bops, and their lore, with all of you. If you’re looking to beef up your own playlists, I’ve got you covered. These four songs have absolutely owned my AirPod airwaves this month… if you see me strutting around campus, I’m definitely listening to one of these.

“Heaven” by Niall Horan

First on the list is a sweet tune by everyone’s favorite Irish “bad boy” (if you know, you know). Released in February of this year, “Heaven” is the lead single of Niall’s third studio album called The Show. He surprised us with this little beauty… the rest of the album won’t be released until June 9, 2023. Consider my calendar marked because the vibes of this song are impeccable, and I can’t wait to hear more. “Heaven” describes that deep, soul-connection kind of love that makes the confusion of life worth it.

Gives the Same Vibes as: the color yellow, vanilla candles, dancing in the kitchen, feeling butterflies

My Favorite Line: “Your touch is made of something Heaven can’t hold a candle to.”

“Feather” by Sabrina Carpenter

Next on the list is a break-up anthem off the deluxe version of Sabrina’s fifth studio album, emails i can’t send. In March of this year, Sabrina released the new tracks (she absolutely fed us), and I’ve been obsessed ever since. With the Sabrina-Olivia-Joshua love triangle drama in our rearview mirrors, one thing has become abundantly clear: the media would rather villainize a woman for her relationships than admire her success. Sabrina was really dragged through the mud for the better part of a year, and this album came as a breath of fresh air to show that she really can’t be touched. “Feather” sounds like a release of the tension; a realization that no man deserves her anyways. It’s a great reminder that if someone is treating you poorly, there’s no shame in dropping them… they aren’t worth your time.

Gives the Same Vibes as: silk pillowcases, Do Not Disturb mode, winged eyeliner

My Favorite Line: “I got you blocked, excited to never talk… I’m so sorry for your loss.”

“Margaret” (feat. Bleachers) by Lana Del Rey

On the more melancholy side, we’ve got a beautiful track off Lana’s new album, Did You Know There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd. When I heard she’d be collabing with Bleachers for this song, I downloaded it immediately. I am a Jack Antonoff STAN to say the very least; Bleachers is one of my all-time favorite bands, and I love absolutely everything of theirs. Need I mention that Jack co-writes with Taylor Swift, Lorde, Kevin Abstract, and many other famous artists? He’s insanely talented. This track absolutely delivered; it is hauntingly beautiful, sad yet dreamy, and is an absolute vibe. It might make you laugh or cry, or maybe both at the same time (you know Lana Del Rey). Be prepared to stream it over and over again… it’s been on repeat on my AirPods for weeks now.

Gives the Same Vibes as: rainy afternoons, bittersweet tears, the wilted rose emoji

My Favorite Line: “If you’re asking yourself, ‘How do you know?’, then that’s your answer. The answer is ‘No’.”

“Breakfast” by Dove Cameron

Last but certainly not least is this BANGER of a single from Dove Cameron, the absolute love of my life. This song is so catchy and it never leaves my head, but that’s not even the best part. Dove released a short film for “Breakfast,” and it makes such a strong and powerful statement about gender norms. Without giving too much away, I’ll say that it’s an incredibly relevant piece of art, and a thought-provoking, empowering watch. I find the song itself to be a bop, too (it’s a perfect late-night, getting-ready-to-go-out track). Be sure to check it out!

Gives the Same Vibes as: finger tattoos, glowing city skylines, black widow spiders, feminine rage

My Favorite Line: “So you wanna talk about power? Ooh… let me show you power.”

There you have it. Stream these beauties and thank me later. Let me know what you think, and send me your own music recs! Happy jamming :)

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Hanna Jane Kilduff

U Mass Amherst '24

When Hanna Jane isn't writing for Her Campus, you'll find her wandering aimlessly through thrift stores, listening to her color-coded playlists, or curled up under a blanket with her cat.