This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Spring is right around the corner my friends, and that means it’s time to be reborn again. Okay, well it’s not that deep, but I like to think of Spring as the time to get my mojo back in time for summer. This week I’m comin’ at ya with 4 legendary NO-SKIP albums that are sure to help you get your groove going for Spring. I’m warning you though, these picks are totally different from one another so if one album isn’t for you, maybe just give the next one a try instead! Without further ado, here are my top 4 album picks to get those Spring vibes flowing:

Sublime by Sublime (1996)

Coming in hot like the sun at number 1, we’ve got the self-titled album by iconic 90s band Sublime. You’ve seen the crewneck hoodie sold at Urban Outfitters, which I shamelessly own, but have you heard their music? Chances are you’ve heard the famed tracks from this album, “Santeria,” “Doin’ Time,” and “What I got.” Those songs are classics of course, but the entirety of the album feels like a beach party. Let’s be real, Spring is just a semi-sweet precursor to Summer. Listening to this album will help speed up the transition of spring to summer, I swear. Tracks like “Garden Grove” are perfect to throw on when you’re cruising with the windows down on one of those glorious spring days where the temperature goes above 50 degrees. This album makes you feel like the main character of a surfing movie, and who doesn’t want that? So pop in your headphones, go for a walk and have that carefree main character moment.

Earbuds and Sheet Music
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels

Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves (2018)

With her melodic voice and dreamy lyrics, Kacey Musgraves’s “Golden Hour” sounds the way it feels to lay in the sun after a long winter. When I think of Spring, I think of flowers and rainbows after April storms, I hear birds chirping, and everything’s gently coming back to life. This album is literally the background music for all of that good stuff. Starting off the album is “Slow Burn,” a dreamy track about taking your time and enjoying the little things in life. Later on, “Rainbow” sends another beautiful yet strong message about perseverance. Although each song contains a different message, some about love and some about life, each song is accompanied by a light and upbeat guitar that seems to assure you everything’s okay. I recommend putting on “Oh, What a World” and soaking up that spring sunshine. 

Rumors by Fleetwood Mac (1977)

This album honestly needs no introduction, and who doesn’t love Fleetwood Mac? This album is a classic, and not putting it in my top 4 would be a crime against all music fans. Songs like “Rhiannon” and “Dreams” create the most magical spring vibe, all you’ll wanna do is frolic through a field of flowers. Other songs like “The Chain” and “Gold Dust Women” empower and invigorate, helping you crawl out of that winter shell. If you need to feel like the independent badass that you are, I promise you Stevie Nicks can help with that endeavor. I love this album because there’s a track for every occasion. Doing some Spring cleaning? Throw on “Go Your Own Way” to elevate those energy levels and get organizing. Is your winter fling no more? Belt your heart out to “Silver Springs” and I bet you’ll feel better. Fleetwood Mac is an anytime type of band, and “Rumors” is an anytime, any mood type of album. 

music neon sign
Photo by Simon Noh from Unsplash

“Norman F***ing Rockwell” by Lana Del Rey (2019)

No album list would be complete without something from the queen herself, Miss Lana Del Rey. While all of her albums are phenomenal, her most recent album delivers an angelic aura perfect for the upcoming Spring season. This album creates a lust for something more with a soft melodic piano that entrances listeners. Songs like “Bartender” and “Mariner’s Apartment Complex” tell a gorgeous love story that is both beautiful and slightly chaotic. Lana even has her own cover of “Doin’ Time” on the album, which is a close competition for the original which happens to be on the Sublime album discussed above. The whole album sounds the way one might feel when watching a beautiful beach sunset after a long cold winter. 

Caroline Harrington

U Mass Amherst '24

Caroline is a Communications major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She has a passion for writing and loves to tell her stories. Outside of Her Campus, Caroline likes to spend her time with friends creating memories and spending time at her hometown beach. She is passionate about helping others and loves to write about all things wellness, fashion, and life.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst