Style > Fashion

4 Halloween Costume Ideas for UMass Students

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Halloween is just around the corner, which means it’s time to get your costume(s) purchased! Shopping for a costume can be challenging; how can you be original, cute, and save money all at once? Here are some UMass-specific costume ideas to save you time and energy in your Halloween costume search.

Zookeeper 

At some point in time, UMass Amherst earned the nickname “ZooMass Slamherst” for its partying. Although UMass’s reputation as a party school is considered outdated by some, the nickname has lived on. It may not be obvious at first glance, but your costume will have an amusing double meaning. 

Get out there and tame the zoo. 

Individual item options:

Or full customer options:

UMass Dining Employee 

Dressing as a UMass Dining employee is an easy, funny, and unique way to honor the humble contributors to UMass’ #1 Dining. We are indebted to them! You can put a fun spin on it by adding additional chef props or accessories.

Individual item options: 

Southwest Rat 

We all know UMass’s Southwest residential area contains old buildings that probably contain literal rats. And, keeping them company, are the “frat rats”. (“Frat rat” is a term coined by Generation X, most often used to describe people and specifically women who spend lots of time at fraternity houses).

The rats don’t run southwest, you do.

Individual item options: 

Or, if you want to get goofy: 

UMass Amherst
Original photo by Anumeha Rajvanshi

Spoke Bouncer

If you’re looking for an easy but unique costume option, consider dressing as a bouncer (specifically, a spoke one)! With this costume, you will have an excuse to ask for IDs, break up fights, and kick people out of parties. 

Individual item options: 

Original and UMass-specific, any of these costumes would be iconic for the 2023 Halloween season. Happy shopping!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Kate Devitt

U Mass Amherst '24

Kate is a senior marketing and English major at UMass Amherst. In her free time, you can typically find her reading, hiking, making a new Spotify playlist, or spending time with family and friends.