Life > Experiences

4 Easy Halloween Costumes You Should Totally Try This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Ladies, it’s time to get down to business. Halloween is approaching swiftly (four weeks!) and it’s time to find a costume or two. As most college students know, the weekend starts on Thursday (if not sooner) and this year Halloween is a Monday. This means five costumes if you are feeling ambitious. Let me help you all out with a few ideas.

Tourist

Classic. Never fails. There are only a few *key* components that you need: a tropical button-up, socks and sandals, a bucket hat, and a fanny pack. If you are willing to go the extra mile, khaki or cargo shorts would be a great touch. If you don’t have all these pieces, odds are a friend has one that they can lend to you. Layering on a little blush to give the illusion of sunburn would be the cherry on top.

A witch

Again, classic. This one may be even simpler than the last, which is great if you are in a pinch. My recommendation is that you go basic: all black with a few accessories. Start off with a cute black dress or skirt, then pair it with tights and boots if you have them. My suggestion is to invest in a cute witch hat (like the one you can find here) so you can milk this costume for years to come. Layer on the rings and necklaces for an eclectic vibe and voila!

Cowgirl

This one might require some prep if you want it to all come together. Most of us won’t have a cowgirl hat laying around, so plan accordingly. Start with your cowgirl hat and a bandana (Amazon has a combo all set for you here), then add in a pair of boots. Cowgirl boots would be great, but don’t sweat it. My theory is that everyone will understand the costume because of the hat so the rest isn’t as critical. Then, I would go for a pair of jeans and a button-up that you can tie in a knot to crop it. As always, try asking around if people have hats or boots so it’s easier on you and your wallet.

Butterfly

This one might be my favorite, so you might see me rocking this one for one of the Halloweekend nights! For anyone else wanting to give this one a shot, I suggest a monochrome look with your matching wings, outfit, and accessories in one color. Scour your closet (and your friends, if it’s ok) for skirts and tops of matching colors. A dress is even better. Then, pick your wings (these ones are the coolest since they light up!) Like the witch costume, layer on the jewels and accessories for a whimsical look. If you want to go a step further, you can find butterfly clips to jazz up the hair-do. For me, I think I’ll add some glitter and matching makeup too to take this over the top. I am SO excited.

For me, when Halloween arrives, it always comes down to the wire and I am scrambling for a good costume. For my last college Halloweekend ever, I want to go out with a bang. So, I hope that I have provided you all with a little bit of inspiration for the upcoming festivities!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Julia DeFilippo

U Mass Amherst '23

Julia is a junior biochem and women's studies major at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She enjoys listening to music, spinning, and painting.