This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Like many people, I spend a lot of my time scrolling through TikTok (probably too much time, if I’m being honest). However, this has had its benefits. Thanks to TikTok, I was able to find these amazing DIYs that I just had to recreate.

Moss Mirror

The second I saw this mirror on TikTok, I knew I had to recreate it. Lucky for me, I had a mirror that was perfect for the job. This DIY was simple, I only needed 3 things: glue, moss, and the mirror. I used hot glue, so the finished product does have some strings of glue on it, and I ended up going through a lot of glue, therefore I would suggest using a different type of glue. When I was finished gluing all of the moss on the mirror, I did decide to place some fake purple flowers around it, and it pulled the whole mirror together. I am absolutely obsessed with what I created and couldn’t be happier with the results. It was the perfect addition to my bedroom. 

Macramé Plant Hanger

I have become kind of obsessed with everything plants over the past year. As a result, I have a few hanging plants. I tried a few macramé plant hanger tutorials from YouTube, but I couldn’t find one that worked for me. Then I found this quick tutorial on TikTok. The design is extremely simple and was perfect for my skill level. Now, my plants are thriving and hanging in style.

Teacup Candles

I love thrifting and this DIY gave me an excuse to go. I just went to my local thrift store and picked out a few cups that I really liked. I also needed wicks and candles. I bought pillar candles from The Dollar Tree, but you can even use candles from home. One thing I had to be careful of was making sure to use microwave-safe cups. If not, the cups might not be able to handle the heat of the flame and break.

Crochet Tote Bag

I learned to crochet when I was in middle school, but I never got really into it until now. Over the past year in the pandemic, I chose to pick up some old hobbies, including crocheting. When I saw this bag on my FYP, I was immediately inspired and ran to the craft store. The girl who posted the TikTok shared the link to this YouTube tutorial she followed. The tutorial is straightforward and easy to follow. I love the finished result. I even started a second one almost immediately after I finished the first.

I loved making these DIYs and I love the finished products even more. I fully recommend trying these yourself!

Samantha Butts

U Mass Amherst '23

Samantha is a junior at UMass Amherst studying English and Journalism. She enjoys reading, fashion, watching movies, thrifting, and going out with friends. She is passionate about women's rights, the environment, and politics.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst