3 Streamable Shows That Highlight The Importance of Female Friendships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Sometimes we need a good comfort show to remind us about the important things in life. I’ll admit it, I am a sucker for low-drama, humorous, and sometimes (always) cheesy TV shows. When my schedule becomes too overwhelming and I just need a moment alone at the end of the day, I find myself logging into Netflix, Hulu, or any other streaming service in arms reach. From there, I gravitate towards endearing sitcoms or binge-worthy series that stray away from overwhelming plotlines. I’ve noticed a pattern throughout this ritual: my favorite shows always include unbreakable female friendships.

Growing up, I have always treasured the female role models in my life. I have cherished the way my mother and her six sisters interacted, always having each other’s back. Being shown an example of female companionship from a young age encouraged me to translate this into my life. There is a certain power in girls sticking together and standing up for one another. One of the most reassuring aspects is seeing this strong dynamic shown on television. Here are three streamable shows that capture the beauty of female friendships.

Netflix: Firefly Lane

Following two girls over the span of three decades, Firefly Lane is a Netflix series sure to keep you captivated throughout. Tully Hart and Kate Mularkey are neighbors on Firefly Lane in a small neighborhood in Washington state. Despite multiple tumultuous events throughout their lives, they find their friendship to be a stabilizing force. Besides the typical drama between best friends, the duo remains steadfast in their efforts to always be there for each other. Both enduring their fair share of trauma, the ladies continually support each other. As the women mature and pursue their life goals, the audience is able to observe an empowering dynamic. Season two has been confirmed, yet Netflix has not yet announced a release date.

Netflix: Grace and Frankie

The series Grace and Frankie focuses on two women who are forced to bond after their husbands leave them for each other. With Grace on the more proper side and Frankie embracing her eccentric tendencies, the ladies’ personalities clash often. When their lawyer husbands reveal they are in love and plan to get married, the women grow together through their unique situation. With never-ending shenanigans, the show always manages to spotlight the heartwarming support of having a friend who knows exactly what you’re going through. The audience is along for the ride, and witnesses the pair go from enemies to besties (the classic trope!). The series is currently on its seventh season with more episodes to be released soon!  

Hulu: The Golden Girls

Airing from 1985 through 1992, The Golden Girls is a timeless sitcom about four mature women experiencing their golden years in their Miami home. Blanche, Rose, Dorothy, and her mother, Sophia, are a charming quartet who never experience a dull moment. As they each navigate a new chapter in their lives, the women support each other through humor, cheesecake, and touching heart-to-hearts. The Golden Girls is my go-to comfort show, and all-time favorite television series. The group continuously proves that age is just a number, as they showcase their undeniable wit and optimism for life in each episode.

These three series all serve as an example of how women friendships can be an empowering strength in life. Each available as streamable content, these shows are available whenever you need extra reassurance!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Nora Donovan

U Mass Amherst '23

Nora is a senior majoring in Communication and Sociology, with a minor in Business. She is passionate about art, music, writing, and working out.