Drinks
Drinks
Alex Frank / Spoon
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As the weather gradually warms and the semester makes its way to an end, I’m reminded of sunny days on campus — headphones in, sunglasses on, iced matcha in hand. While campus cafes might not be open at the moment, I’m here to share this experience with you and pass on some of my favorite at-home matcha recipes. 

I get my matcha mix — as well as all my other ingredients — at Trader Joes, but it isn’t particularly important where you get yours from! 

1. Vanilla Coconut Milk Matcha

This first one is by far my favorite. I’m a big coconut milk fan and the creamy blend of the matcha, coconut, and hints of vanilla create the sweetest mix. Start by mixing the matcha powder and the warm water — I prefer to use a milk frother on mine, but if you don’t have one, whisking it works — then pour over ice. Next, add as much milk as you want, however much vanilla to taste, and you’re all set!

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon matcha powder

⅓ cup warm water

Coconut milk

½ teaspoon vanilla syrup

Ice

matcha latte
Photo by John Beans distributed under a CC BY 2.0 license

2. Cinnamon Almond Milk Matcha

For all you fall season lovers out there, this next one is the perfect fall-summer experience. Start by mixing the matcha and warm water, then pouring over ice. Add your almond milk and vanilla to taste. Sometimes I prefer to mix the almond milk and vanilla and use a milk frother to thicken it up before pouring over the matcha and ice! Top with cinnamon. 

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon matcha powder

⅓ cup warm water

Almond milk

½ teaspoon vanilla syrup

Cinnamon

Ice

spoon of matcha powder
Photo by Matcha and CO on Unsplash

3. Matcha Lemonade

This last one is my prime summer drink. Start once more by mixing matcha powder with warm water and pouring over ice. Next, add your store-bought or homemade lemonade and you’re good to go! The two flavors blend so nicely!

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon matcha powder

⅓ cup warm water

Lemonade OR sugar and freshly squeezed lemon

Ice

Let me know if you decide to try any of these matcha recipes or if you have any of your own favorites to share! Happy sipping!

Hanna Saisselin

U Mass Amherst '23

Philosophy student that be spittin word salads for You to read
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst