This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

All of last year, almost every two weeks (yes, I went to that often) I went to get my nails done at a nearby salon. I was obsessed with the look, and couldn’t go without getting my nails done, even to just give them a break. What I soon realized was how much money this was costing me, so this summer I made the decision to give my nails a break from dip and gel manicures, and it was a great decision. I noticed my nails breaking a lot at first from being so damaged, but as time went on and they grew out, they were as strong as they were with dip on (although it did take a few months). So, this article will give you some reasons as to why you should give your nails a break from dip and gel manicures, like A.S.A.P. 

Saving money.

One of the big reasons for me when choosing whether or not to stop getting my nails done was stepping back and realizing how much this was all costing me. Being in college has made me more aware of what I spend, and getting my nails done (as often as I did) was wasting too much money. I’m talking about $40 (including tip) every time I went to get them done. Also, going every two weeks on top of this was too much. So I’ve made the decision this year to buy nail polish from CVS Pharmacy and paint and style them myself. So far, it’s going well and each bottle of nail polish is only $9 opposed to the $40 I’d spend on a manicure. 

Getting stronger nails (overtime). 

This was something I realized after the first time I went to get my polish taken off after getting my nails done so often. When the woman doing my nails went to file them, almost my whole nail broke off because it was so damaged from getting shaved down every time I went to get a manicure. This was the real moment I thought: “Okay, I never want to keep getting gel or dip manicures if it means that my nails aren’t strong anymore.” So, that’s what I did and it has helped my nails prevent from breaking off and chipping greatly. It did take all of summer and then some (from May to September) for my nails to grow out and be strong, but it worked. It was a weird process, though, in the sense that my nails for a while had a dent in them from having the new nail growing out towards the bottom of my nail and the filed down nail as the upper part of my nails. 

Buying polish means fixing chipped nails easily!

This one is pretty simple, but when I got my nails done and they’d chip just a few days after getting them done it was annoying to have to go back to the salon. So, with the benefit of buying your own nail polish, this means you can paint your nails whenever you’d like so they constantly look good!  Images: 1, 2, 3

Lyla Hyman

U Mass Amherst '21

Lyla is a senior at UMass Amherst. She is studying both Communication and Journalism and is currently a Senior Editor, Multimedia Director, and Twitter Coordinator for HC at UMass Amherst. When she is not busy working, she spends her time writing, singing, reading new books, walking outside, and making matcha lattes. She was born and raised in Boston, MA.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst