This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Fall: the best time to cozy up indoors, light candles, and watch movies! Need some suggestions? Here are 22 fun movie suggestions for any mood you’re in.

Throwback movies

1. James and The Giant Peach

This 90s throwback is the perfect movie to get into the Halloween spirit. It has fun music and great animation for the spooky feeling of autumn.

2. Little Shop of Horrors

A musical that will keep you hooked. It’s based on a flower shopkeeper who finds a mysterious plant that turns evil. 

3. Mask

This classic Jim Carrey movie is a mix of comedy, romance, and crime. In the movie, Jim Carrey’s character puts on a mask to transform himself into a confident and charming man who gets into a lot of trouble.

4. Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters is a classic that’s great for those movie nights when you’re in the mood for something not too scary but funny. Its theme song will get stuck in your head — I promise.

5. Edward Scissorhands

This Johnny Depp film is perfect for a fall night. Although not fall-themed, it’s still a great movie about a man named Edward who has — you guessed it — scissors for hands. He visits a small town and an unlikely romance forms.

Family Movies

6. Monster House

This movie definitely scared me as a kid, but it’s still amazing. With creepy animations, it has elements that keep you on the edge of your seat in fear.

7. Frankenweenie

A cute dog that turns into a monster? Sounds like a good movie to me. Sparky, the dog, gets brought back to life, but he’s a little different than before. Frankenweenie is another Tim Burton classic and has old-film vibes since it’s all in black and white.

8. Coraline

I can’t explain enough how much I love Coraline; the music, the stop-motion animation, and the plot put together create such an amazing film that’s great any time of year.

9. Paranorman

Norman Babcock can talk to the dead, except no one believes him. This children’s movie is entertaining even for adults, and is super funny.

10. Corpse Bride

Another one of my personal favorites Corpse Bride is a stop-motion animation film about a young man who travels to the underworld and accidentally marries a dead woman.

11. Hocus Pocus

A hilarious movie about three-hundred-year-old witches who are determined to take over a town on Halloween night.

12. It’s the great pumpkin, charlie brown

A feel-good Charlie Brown film for when you don’t want anything scary!

13. The Nightmare Before Christmas

Even though this movie is a debated Halloween-or-Christmas movie, I think the spookiness of it qualifies as a Halloween film. Tim Burton’s animations and music are so entertaining while you watch Jack Skellington kidnap Santa to deliver “gifts” to children on Christmas morning.

Scary Movies

14. Halloween

This classic is a great movie to watch on Halloween night. Michael Meyers is super frightening, and I recommend this movie if you want a good scare!

15. Carrie

This scary thriller follows Carrie, a high schooler who gets bullied, but turns out to have telekinesis powers.

16. It

Watch this movie if you want a true horror movie. It’s super scary and is composed of clowns, bullies, and monsters.

17. Scream

This is a horror movie masterpiece. Scream takes on crime and thriller as you watch teenagers living a real-life horror film.

18. The Conjuring

This movie focuses on paranormal activities and entities, and it is truly terrifying. Watch this movie in the dark with some friends and popcorn and you won’t regret it.

Funny Movies

19. Fun Size

This is one of my favorite fall movies. It’s so funny and it brings back the nostalgia of 2000s Halloween movies. It’s perfect for a cozy day inside.

20. Happy Death Day

Here’s a movie that combines comedy and spookiness for a great movie! The main character has to relive the same day over and over again and it truly is creepy.

21. Dark Shadows

Another Johnny Depp classic, Dark Shadows follows Depp’s vampire character after he is freed from his tomb in the 70s. It’s a funny movie filled with fantasy and romance.

22. Once Bitten

Jim Carrey’s Once Bitten examines his character on an adventure with four-hundred-year-old vampires. It’s a horror-comedy and I highly recommend it if you’re in the mood for something not scary!

I hope this list inspires you to watch (or re-watch) some of these amazing movies for the fall season!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Elizabeth Mooney

U Mass Amherst '22

As a senior at UMass Amherst, Elizabeth Mooney is studying Community Education and Social Change and is so excited to be writing for HerCampus for her third year! She writes articles on lifestyle, relationships, and college life so check them out! Feel free to follow her Instagram: @lizmooney02