20 Simple Ways to Practice Gratitude This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Thanksgiving is right around the corner. And while Thanksgiving is all about the turkey, football, and pumpkin pie, we can’t forget the true meaning behind this classic American holiday: thankfulness. At the heart of Thanksgiving is the message of gratitude and appreciation.

Gratitude is an emotional expression of thankfulness. It is a conscious choice we make to acknowledge all we have in our lives, rather than focusing on what we do not have. Gratitude is an act of our own will to be mindful and deliberately shift our internal focus to an external awareness.

Science has shown that gratitude can lead to increased energy and emotional intelligence, better sleep, forgiving attitudes, and happiness, while simultaneously decreasing anxiety, depression, and substance abuse. Practicing gratitude not only allows us to acknowledge the many ways we are blessed, but is directly correlated to our overall well-being.

So this Thanksgiving season, don’t wait to be thankful; start incorporating gratitude practices into your daily life now. Here are some ways that you can practice gratitude this season:  

1. Wake up each morning and write down three things you are grateful for. Don’t second guess or overthink it, just write down a few things that automatically come to mind.

2. Tell a friend how much they mean to you.

3. Call a parent, sibling, or extended relative and tell them you love and appreciate them.

4. Give a genuine compliment to a stranger.

5. Volunteer your time or donate money to a good cause.

6. Think small. It’s easy to be grateful for the big things (house, car, etc.), but try turning your attention to the little things in your day that bring you joy.

7. Write down the best part of your day.

8. Try meditation.

9. Give someone a tip, or larger tip than usual.

10. Show yourself gratitude: make a list of things you love about yourself or treat yourself to something that brings you joy.

11. Practice patience, with yourself and with those around you.

12. Be supportive. Remind a loved one that you are there for them, and support them.

13. Share your material possessions with others.

14. Buy a friend a treat—surprise them with a coffee or small gift.

15. Smile!

16. Write a handwritten thank you note to someone important in your life.

17. Try to consciously reduce the amount you complain.

18. Pause to practice gratitude in the present moment.

19. Stop negative thoughts with optimism and positive thinking.

20. Give someone the gift of your time and affection.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 

Julia Ferreira

U Mass Amherst

My name is Julia Ferreira. I am a sophomore at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, majoring in Communication with a minor in Spanish.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst