This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We all love the 90s, but it’s not just good for the Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, Beanie Babies, Slap Bracelets, Justin Timberlake’s frosted tips, and Dunkaroos… some pretty awesome films were produced then. Check these ones out Collegiettes. Must sees for any movie buff!

1. American History X

Derek Vinyard, played by Edward Norton, becomes involved in the Neo-Nazi and white power movement. The film displays a nonlinear narrative structure with an interesting cinematic motif implemented throughout. Watch while Vinyard tries to save his younger brother from the path he found himself on.  

2. Clueless

Who hasn’t seen Clueless?! Starring Alicia Silverstone and hunky Paul Rudd, it’s about a rich high school student trying to give a makeover to the new girl in school. This film’s full of cool lingo and fun fashion.

3. Girl, Interrupted

A dynamic duo of Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie star in this film. The movie portrays their time in a mental hospital. It was originally a book by Susanna Kaysen describing her 18 month stay at a mental hospital in the 1960s, and was then turned into a film in 1999.

4. Pulp Fiction

This movie directed by Quentin Tarantino, starring Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman, and John Travolta is a must see. If you like swearing, drugs, guns, and a nonlinear narrative, this film is for you.

5. Living in Oblivion

If you love films, this movie is a film about filmmaking. It follows a day on set of a low-budget movie. Starring Steve Buscemi, for anyone interested in ever making movies, this one is a must see.

6. Fight Club

This movie will have you questioning everything in our consumer culture. Starring Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, and Helena Bonham Carter, Fight Club will leave you mind blown at the end. If you’re into giant plot twists, this film is for you. And if you like seeing Brad Pitt with his shirt off.

7. Almost Famous

Though this movie was made during 2000, I thought it was so good it just had to be on the list. Starring the beautiful Kate Hudson, this film follows a teenage boy as he covers a story for Rolling Stone Magazine about a rock band.

8. The Blair Witch Project

This movie follows three film students who travel into the Maryland woods to film a documentary about the Blair Witch legend. If you enjoy seeing people scared out of their freaking minds, this movie is for you.

9. Schindler’s List

A wonderful film and a tribute to Oskar Schindler, who saved the lives of many Jews during World War II through his factory. A must see for anyone interested in history and cinema. Also, we can’t get enough of Liam Neeson.

10. Thelma and Louise

This movie, starring Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon, follows two female best friends on an adventure that certainly takes a different turn than expected. If you like bad*ss chicks running from the law, this movie is for you.

11. Se7en

Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt are two detectives in this movie looking for a serial killer who uses the seven deadly sins as his inspiration. A creepy, yet interesting film.

12. Trainspotting

I don’t know about you but I have a soft spot in my heart for Ewan McGregor. If you do too, Trainspotting is the movie for you. This film is about a group of Scottish junkies addicted to heroin living in Edinburgh, as Mark Renton, played by McGregor tries to fight his addiction with the drug and the life experiences he faces doing so. Originally a book by Irvine Welsh, it was turned into a film in 1996.

13. 10 Things I Hate About You

If you haven’t seen this movie already you should get on that Collegiettes. Heath Ledger and little Joseph-Gordon Levitt, are too cute.

14. What’s Eating Gilbert Grape

A young Leonardo DiCaprio does an amazing job in this film playing a special needs kid alongside Johnny Depp, his older brother. Set in a small town, Depp must take care of his family and obese mother, until a girl comes into his life and everything changes.

15. The Virgin Suicides

This movie, narrated by a group of young boys who become obsessed with their female neighbors during the 1970s, will leave you confused along with them at the end. Starring Kirsten Dunst, The Virgin Suicides was first a novel written by Jeffrey Eugenides in 1993.  

16. A League of Their Own

Such a great movie starring Tom Hanks and Geena Davis. The movie follows a group of women who joined the first female professional baseball league. Anyone who loves a good sports movie and some female friendship bonding, check out this flick.

17. The Truman Show

Unlike any other movie you’ve probably seen before, the main character of the film, played by Jim Carrey, finds out his entire life is actually a TV show and has to decipher what’s real and what’s not. A new spin on reality TV that you will love!

Photo Sources: 1, 23, 4, 5, 6, 78, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17.

Carson McGrath

U Mass Amherst

Carson McGrath is in her first year at the University of Massachusetts. She is studying English and Journalism and hopes to one day write professionally. She is a triplet and loves the color orange, sushi, and Audrey Hepburn.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst