12 Last-Minute DIY Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Halloween is approaching quickly, and if you are anything like me you will wait until the last minute to get your costume. Luckily, I have created a list of easy last-minute Halloween costumes for you and your friends!

1. Pretty Little Liars

This group costume can be created using clothes that are already in your closet and can include any number of your friends! For this look, all you will need is a black sweatshirt, black pants and red duct tape. Using the duct tape, you can create the classic “A” on the back of the sweatshirt. One friend can wear a red sweatshirt or jacket and then you are all done! This costume is super easy to achieve and also perfect for the colder weather.

2. The Powerpuff Girls

The Powerpuff Girls was every ’90s girl’s favorite cartoon show as a kid. This costume can also be created for under $20. For this look, you will first need a simple blue, green and pink dress. Then you will need a black belt for your dress which can be created using simple ribbon or with any black belt that you already own. If you want to add something extra to this look you can get some high white socks and bows for you hair. This costume will take you less than 10 minutes to create and will not break the bank!

3. Shark Week

This costume is super creative and can be created for only $20! The shirts with the weekdays can be found on Amazon here starting at only $15. The hat can also be purchased on Amazon here starting at $5.99! With Amazon’s one-day shipping option this look is a great last-minute costume for you and your friends.

4. The Purge

This costume is great because you can look cute and scary. First off, you will need a white button-down shirt or cardigan and some red paint. You can splatter the red paint on the white shirt to make it look like blood. Underneath the button-down or cardigan, you can wear a black dress or any black top and pants. Now, most importantly you will need The Purge mask, which can be purchased at any costume store near you or on Amazon here. You can also add as little or as much to this costume as you want. The fake machete pictured below can be purchased on Amazon here, to add an extra scare factor to your costume!

5. Ghostbusters

This costume is cute and relevant since the new all-female Ghostbusters movie came out this past year. For this look you can wear a tan romper or jumpsuit or just a tan shirt and pants. The backpack can be purchased at most Halloween stores near you, and also can be found on Amazon here. You can also add a pair of goggles to this costume which you might already own and if not they can be purchased at a local Walmart or Target. If you wanted to add something extra to the look you can also purchase the Ghostbusters logo as an embroidered patch (found here), which can be ironed on to your top.

6. The Cheetah Girls

The Cheetah Girls is the girl-powered Disney movie of the 2000s that is still iconic today. The looks are surprisingly easy to recreate, all you will need is pink, purple, yellow and blue jumpsuits and cheetah-patterned headbands. The headbands can be purchased on Amazon here and for the jumpsuits you can combine any pair of pink, blue, purple or yellow sweatpants and sweatshirt that you own. This look is super cheap and easy to create and will give everyone some vintage Disney feels.

7. Clueless

Even two decades after it was released the fashion from Clueless is still admired today. This look can be re-created by wearing any plaid skirt and matching plaid jacket. If you want the exact matching plaid outfit you can purchase Cher’s outfit here and Dionne’s outfit here. For Tai’s outfit, you can wear any style red plaid skirt and a white collared shirt with a vest over it. This costume is great because you can get more use out of it since you can wear it even if it isn’t Halloween!

8. The Spice Girls

This costume is easy and will give everyone at your party a blast from the past! This costume can really be up to your own interpretation and with whatever you have available. Anything you have cheetah print, a black dress, a pink dress and any clothes with a British flag will work just fine for this look. You can find many cheap, vintage fashion looks from the ’90s at any nearby thrift store as well. This look is cheap and easy and great for girl squads!

9. Stranger Things

This costume will definitely be a popular one this Halloween as the new season premieres on Netflix this month. This look is also super easy and can be achieved by wearing most of the clothes you already have in your closet. For the iconic look of Eleven, all you will need is a pink dress and a jean jacket. You can also add a blonde wig and a box of Ego’s as some extra discerning character features. Another character you can dress as is Barb, and you will need a short curly red wig, a flannel, glasses and some Mom jeans. For Nancy’s character, you can wear a striped shirt and skirt, and for the character of Dustin all you will need is a curly short dirty blonde wig and flat top hat. For the other characters, you can wear any ’70s outfit you can find.

10. Space Jam

This costume is original and can be achieved for under $20! For this costume all you need is the Tunes Squad jersey, which can be found here, white shorts, and a basketball. If you want to add more to this look, you can also wear white gloves and bunny ears. Any number of your friends can take part in this easy and cheap costume!

11. The Minions

This costume can be created with most of your own wardrobe and is super cute and popular right now. You can wear any yellow shirt, overalls, a pair of yellow high socks and some black gloves. The only thing you might have to purchase is the goggles which can be purchased on Amazon here. This look is cost-efficient and it will take you less than 10 minutes to get ready!

12. The Pink Ladies

The pink ladies were the ultimate girl squad of the late ’70s. This look is also easy and cheap, you can wear a black dress or any black top and pants with the pink ladies jacket over it. The jacket can be purchased from most Halloween stores and can also be found on Amazon here.  

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 

Angela is a freshman and a writer for Her Campus Umass Amherst. She is majoring in Legal Studies and enjoys movies, music, and spending time with friends and family.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst