11 Dos and Don’ts For Valentine’s Day: A Guide for New Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

FINALLY not alone on Valentine’s Day, for some (me) it has been a long time coming. If you are new to the dating game or in a new relationship, this is a very exciting time, but it also has some stress behind it. In my case this is my first relationship, unless you want to count those middle school relationships that we once thought were of extreme importance. Maybe you don’t know what to do or what to get your man on Valentine’s Day? I have been asking numerous friends this question for pretty much the last two weeks. I have come up with what I hope is a helpful list of some ideas for the day.

DO: Get him a gift. We all know that this is usually a girl’s day, the guy takes you out to dinner and gets you a nice gift, but especially in a new relationship you want to show how important he is to you as well without spending a lot of money. I’ve made a list of a few easy ideas for gifts for him.

Gift Ideas:

1. Make him a fun goodie bag with things that he loves. Favorite candies, magazine, gum, movie, snacks and anything else you can think of. If you do not know what his favorite things are do not freak out. We’re savvy individuals, so you’ll figure something out. For example, I needed to know his favorite candies. I could have just asked him directly and if he asked why I’d say that I was just wondering. What I ended up doing, however, was asking him what his favorite chocolate candy was and when he asked why I wanted to know I said that I was doing a survey project for my psychology class.
  2. Lingerie! You can NEVER fail with a sexy, new little number and a box of chocolates. If it helps, this option was the one most recommended to me from my friends.
  3. If he is into drinking games, a bottle of his favorite alcohol is always a great choice. You can pair this with a small item like candy or chocolate as well.
  4. A framed photograph of you and him, it is cute and simple and will be a great addition to their room.
  5. Funny Valentine’s Day boxers.
  6. A coupon book. This one is fun because you get to use your imagination (in any way you choose…if you know what I mean).
  7. A new book from his favorite author or one that you think he will enjoy if he’s into reading.
  8. Sweet treats baked with your love: cupcakes, brownies, cookies anything you think he will like….with baked goods you never have to worry whether they’ll like it or not. It’s food.

DO NOT: Show up empty handed. If you really cannot afford anything, try to bake something.

DO: Dress for the occasion. Depending on what the plan is for the night, make sure you’re in the right outfit. Try and figure out the restaurant he is taking you to. If it’s a surprise, try to dress up a little bit more than usual, because that probably means your date will be at higher class place than Applebee’s or Chili’s or somewhere like that. A great go to outfit for this is a pair of skinny jeans, boots or heels depending on how you are feeling, and a romantic flowy shirt. If it just dinner and a movie you can go more casual and wear a nice sweater so you are more comfortable.

DO NOT: Wear yoga pants, sweatpants or a sweatshirt unless you are staying in.

DO NOT: Dress like you are going out to dinner at the place the ladies of Sex and the City would go to. That will freak him out and make him think you’re expecting a lot more.

DO: Be on time. I know it can be hard to be punctual sometimes, ladies, but out of courtesy to him try to plan in advance.

DO NOT: Drink too much. Enough said. 

DO: Bring a bottle of wine or a movie if the plans are dinner then coming home for a relaxing evening.

DO NOT: Hint at what you want him to get you unless you know he is wondering. They are guys, but they are not stupid. He will definitely get you a good gift, they know what this day is about and you deserve it.

DO: Take pictures, not a lot, just a few so you can look back on the night.

DO NOT: Wear a lot of makeup, a cake face and raccoon eyes is not the way to dress up or impress your man

Don’t be nervous about the night or stress too much over it. On that day love is in the air, and you are going to have a wonderful time celebrating Valentine’s Day with your new boyfriend or first relationship. Have fun Collegiettes!

Photo Source: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

I am a junior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst majoring in Psychology and Communications. I joined Her Campus because my roommate is also involved in the club and told me all about it. I also have not had a lot of college experience in college writing and thought it would be a great opportunity to learn a different style and better my writing in general. I am also involved in the Lions Club and sisters on the runway.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst