This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

TD Garden was full and lively waiting for Lizzo to come on the stage. As the seats slowly filled up, the anticipation of her performance grew. Lizzo is an icon for many in our generation, and she continues to prove why that is through her music and advocacy for issues like body positivity and women’s right to choose. I was lucky enough to be able to attend her concert in Boston

Lizzo at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

The moment Lizzo hit the stage, she owned it. She popped up wearing a bright neon green jumpsuit and immediately everyone erupted in screams to the point where I felt actual pain in my ears. Her outfit demanded the attention of the crowd and she knew what to do with it. She jumped straight into her first song of the night and you’d think we had been waiting for hours with the screams that erupted from the audience. Her stage presence was amazing and you could feel that the energy she was giving to the crowd was being reciprocated. It was impossible to not have fun. 

Anyone who knows anything about Lizzo knows that she absolutely shreds the flute. I was waiting for her to bring it out, and when she finally did, it was the most perfectly dramatic thing ever. The flute rose up from beneath the stage and was presented on a pedestal, ready for her to play. The audience erupted in screams as she took it into her hands and proceeded to expertly play “Truth Hurts,” one of her most-known songs. 

Lizzo’s flute playing was not the only notable part of her performance. It is a well-known joke on the internet that Chris Evans is Lizzo’s “baby daddy,” so it was only natural that she brought a cardboard cutout of Massachusetts native Chris Evans wearing a Bruins jersey on stage. This was the last thing I expected, and it honestly took me a few seconds to comprehend what was happening. The crowd loved it, and it just shows how important it is for Lizzo’s fans to have a truly fun experience at her concerts. Who would forget that?

However, it wasn’t all fun and games. At one point in her concert, Lizzo had her background dancers come across the stage holding signs saying “My Body My Choice” and other pro-choice messages. During this, Lizzo was wearing a tan jumpsuit, with those same words projected across her body. It was truly a sight to be seen and it was evident that this was an emotional and important matter to her personally. Using her huge platform to promote what she believes is right only makes me love her more. Especially when she was constantly reminding everyone in the audience how special they are. Throughout the entire concert, she was interacting with everyone and repeatedly said that each of us was special and to be ourselves. It’s hard to not be inspired by Lizzo and the messages she shares with her fans. 

Lizzo is one of the few artists that truly loves what she does, in my opinion. The entire time she was on that stage she would never forget to mention how grateful she was to be there or how much fun she was having. She thanked everyone in the audience and her personal interactions with those close to the stage proved how much she loves her fans. I was never bored during her concert, and I would absolutely recommend going. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Alyssa Mazza

U Mass Amherst '24

Alyssa is an English major and Spanish minor at UMass Amherst. Some of her passions include volunteering in the community, reading, and her friends.