10 Ways to Start Your Morning Off Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Let’s face it, some of us just aren’t morning people. It always seems like a struggle to roll out of bed, get ready for the day, and head to class, especially when it’s still freezing out. Who doesn’t love to hit the snooze button at least two times anyway? Even those 9am classes can be a huge struggle. No worries though, try to keep these 10 tips in mind to start your morning off on the right foot!

1. Set An Alarm. This is the oldest trick in the book. Set three alarms on your phone, one alarm 30 minutes before you have to get up, one alarm 10 minutes before, and an alarm 5 minutes before you have to get up. Setting three alarms will ensure that you don’t sleep in and miss class and you will have time to let your body wake up for the day without rushing out of bed.
  2. Get Breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Not only does it start up your metabolism for the rest of the day, it also keeps you focused in class (hello brain-food!). You should allow yourself enough time before class to eat something small, even if it is Grab and Go from the dining halls, or just a piece of fruit and protein bar. Your tummy and brain will certainly thank you! Nothing is worse than sitting through a lecture with your stomach being louder than your professor.
  3. Coffee or Tea Time. Caffeine in the morning seems to work like magic. Whether you enjoy a cup of coffee or tea, make sure you leave yourself time in the morning to make a thermos of this liquid magic to sip on during class. It also keeps your hands warm when you’re on your way to class in this bitter cold weather, which is super convenient!
  4. Have a Go-To Outfit. Sometimes we aren’t always perfect and we wake up late. On those lazy days keep a few go to outfit choices in your closet. You can get out of bed and look cute on your way to class, without spending too much time on what you should wear. This is great when you are pressed for time or are just too tired to find something cute to wear and want to sleep in five extra minutes.
  5. Make a List. Start your morning with a to do list for your day and cross off the tasks you complete. Not only will you feel more productive, but you will keep yourself organized too!
  6. Wake Up Happy! Smiling in the morning releases your endorphins and can actually be a mood booster. Nothing like passing a stranger on campus and flashing your pearly whites. You’ll make their day a little brighter and feel happier too! Try starting off your day on the “right side of the bed.”
  7. Nap Time – Setting aside thirty minutes at some point during your day for a nap will keep you feeling refreshed and ready for the rest of your day. Nothing like a nice nap to re-boost your brain and body.
  8. Snack It Out. It’s great to eat 3-5 small healthy snacks during the day not only to keep your metabolism going, but to also make sure you don’t get tired and hungry. You can keep a small bag of almonds or even an apple in your bag so you don’t have to run back and forth to the dining hall.
  9. Keep Hydrated. Cheers Collegiettes™! Drinking enough water throughout your day will keep you feeling refreshed and healthy.
  10. Gym Session. Even if you work out for thirty minutes a day you can boost your brain power and boost your mood. Feel great and look great.

Keep these simple tips in mind to start your day off on the right foot. You will feel better and maybe even become more productive and positive throughout your day. Nothing is worse than having a bad day, so wake up with a smile, Collegiettes™. Good Morning, Sunshines!          

Elana Jacobson

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst