10 TV Series That Will Change Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There comes a point in every girl’s life where she must ask herself what’s more important: sleep or Netflix? We are all guilty of it whether it’s binge watching countless hours of our favorite series or perhaps becoming so obsessed with a new show that before you know it, 10 hours have passed and you are covered in Cheeto dust. Either way, there are some shows that are just too good to turn off. If you’re looking to rediscover an old favorite, or if you’re in need of something new, here’s a list of shows that stayed with us long after we watched them.

1) Friends

Friends is one of those shows that never gets old. Even though we’ve seen each episode at least five times, it never fails to make us laugh as hard as we did the first time.

2) Freaks and Geeks

Freaks and Geeks basically defined our high-school experience. Even if you couldn’t relate to Lindsay Weir, seeing James Franco, Jason Segel, and Seth Rogen in their prime teenage years is reason enough to watch all 11 episodes back-to-back.

3) Skins

If you’ve never seen Skins, you seriously need to reevaluate your priorities. It’s probably the only show that has simultaneously made us laugh and cry within a single scene. Side note: The US version is a failed attempt at replicating the vastly superior, UK original. The British series is the only socially acceptable version to watch.

4) The O.C.

In 50 years, our generation should look back on The O.C. (seasons 1-3, of course) as a timeless masterpiece. ‘Til this day, I still dream of a relationship of that like Seth and Summer’s. Seriously, can we talk about slowmotion Ryan carrying an unconscious Marissa out of that rank Tijuana alley as Mazzy Star plays in the background? So powerful.

5) Lost

Where to begin? We should all take a moment of silence and rejoice in the beauty that was Lost. From the creepy music, to the smoke monster, to the polar bears. Most of the time we didn’t know what the hell was going on, but we still loved every minute of it. Throw in some shirtless Sawyer, and any scene between Penelope and Desmond and you have yourself a television phenomenon.

[pagebreak]

6) Game of Thrones

GOT, GOT, GOT! Winter is coming, so you better run and hide (to the nearest television that is and catch up on all three seasons). Game of Thrones feels like you’re being dropped from a tall cliff into a bucket of boiling tears. Every episode is jam-packed full of mega plot twists and if you can get past the sex scenes, then it’s fun for the whole family. For those who also follow the show religiously, I have two words for you: Red Wedding.

7) Breaking Bad

You heard it here first, Breaking Bad will go down as one of the greatest television shows of our lifetime. If that’s not reason enough to watch the show, then look no further than Aaron Paul. He is grade A man-candy. Also a shout-out to Vince Gilligan. There are no words to describe the deep admiration and respect I feel towards that man.

8) It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia

You guys, Always Sunny is hands down, the funniest show I have ever seen, in my ENTIRE eighteen years of existence. Yes, I know it’s crude, and most of the time offensive, but just roll with it. Soon enough, you will be crying tears of laughter at the sheer ridiculousness of it.

9) Arrested Development

Arrested Development has arguably the best ensemble cast of any show, ever. We must admit that some of the references go a bit over our heads, but don’t let that deter you from giving it a chance. Watch the entirety of the first season, and you’ll start to pick up on the series of inside jokes between all nine of the Bluth family members.

10) The Office

Although all of us have most likely seen at least an episode or two of The Office, it’s well worth it to invest your time and energy into watching all of seasons 1-7, because let’s face it – the show just wasn’t the same sans Michael Scott. Let us remember the episode when Dwight conducted a fire safety drill and Angela memorably yells “Save Bandit!” while proceeding to launch her cat through the ceiling.

And thus concludes my list of the top 10 television series that will undoubtedly change your life after viewing. Let the binge watching commence!

A sophomore at Umass majoring in English.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst