lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Times the Struggle Is Real with Divorced Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We all want our parents to be happy. As Collegiettes, we now realize how much they’ve sacrificed for our happiness, and we know we owe them big time. Unfortunately, for some of us, this means accepting their separation. We’re over here celebrating one-month anniversaries with new boyfriends and yet we expect our parents to ride the honeymoon high for decades. Truthfully, some parents are happier to go their separate ways. But as children of divorced parents we are not alone–almost half of all marriages in the United States end in divorce. Still, that doesn’t mean we can’t complain!

For those of us who shuttle between Mom’s and Dad’s house, there are #DivorcedParentsProblems to whine about daily.

1. We have double the chores

And our parents act surprised when we let slip a sassy remark like, “How dare you ask me to empty the dishwasher. I literally just cleaned my room at Dad’s.”

2. “Hey, can you ask your Dad…”

You conceived a child together, we’re pretty sure you can have a conversation!

3. They want us to pick favorites

Don’t worry Mom and Dad, we love you both unconditionally! But if you really do want to prove you’re the “hip” parent, we do accept cash bribery.

4. We have to deal with that awkward silence when one parent trash-talks the other

Um, she may be your ex, but she’s still my Mom?!

5. We always forget something when we switch houses

“But I forgot my homework at my mom’s house” is apparently

8. We can’t bring our pets to both houses

Does nobody care to know how it feels to be without our cuddle buddies at night?

9. Our friends forget we have #DivorcedParentsProbs and always show up at the wrong house

We feel bad you drove all that way, but a real friend would have memorized the house-swapping schedule. Thursdays are Mom’s Days. Come on, Julie!

10. Our parents have different expectations

This is just plain confusing when we’re trying to avoid getting in trouble.

“On a scale of one to ten…how disrespectful would you consider a wild underage drinking party at the house?”

Clearly, we have plenty of totally legitimate reasons to complain about living with divorced parents. If we’re lucky, though, our parents will find us some pretty incredible step-parents and siblings. We know better than anyone that a loving family is not defined by a common last name. Plus, we get to celebrate all of the holidays twice. Who’re the real winners, here?!

Photos/GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Carly Brand

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst