10 Things We Can All Appreciate About Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s officially autumn, everyone. This means comfy sweaters, movie marathons, and of course, pumpkin flavored everything!  While there are many things to appreciate about this season, here are 10 fall things that deserve to be given special acknowledgement. 

1. The beautiful scenery.

One of the most amazing aspects about the fall season, in my opinion, is the scenery. While fall foliage is beautiful most places you go, those of us who live in New England have a pretty great view around us. The delicate leaves turn gorgeous colors of reds, yellows, oranges, and browns, creating a beautiful canvas to gaze upon. Watching all the colors fly through the air and fall all around us, like a picturesque snowfall, is truly an amazing sight to see.

2. The perfect weather.

Another factor that should not be overlooked is the near-perfect weather! The cool, crisp fall air is certainly something to appreciate, and a nice break from the sweltering heat of summer. Now don’t get me wrong, summer is great; however, fall offers an equally-wonderful experience in a completely different way. Along with cooler air, autumn brings a mix of sun, rain, cool breezes, and perfect temperatures. Sunny or cloudy, the air is cool and breezy – just the right temperature to break out the highly-anticipated fall wardrobe!

3. The comfy clothes.

Thanks to the cooler weather, we can officially pull out those cute fall outfits we’ve been dying to wear. It’s finally time for the big cable-knit sweaters, denim jackets, flannels, fashionable boots, warm, cozy socks, and all of the cute accessories that have been patiently waiting to be worn in your closet. The outfit combinations are endless, and there’s a plethora of Instagram-worthy clothing pieces that suit the season.

4. The cozy things.

Along with sporting the latest fall fashion, this season brings a surplus of cozy things–one of my personal favorite parts of fall. This time of year offers the perfect opportunities to curl up in big, soft blankets, to wear warm, fuzzy socks, cozy up by the fire with a good book, have movie marathons in bed, burn yummy-scented candles, and so much more! I could go on, but I’m getting ahead of myself–there are even more exciting topics to talk about.

5. The pleasant smells.

Now one thing about this season is the overwhelming amount of smells!  Everyone’s burning candles of various scents – apple cider, maple, macintosh, pumpkin, and so on. Also, the seasonal food and drinks are especially potent – pumpkin spice is such a common scent! Stores are displaying lots of fragrances as well from foods, such as candy apples, maple flavors, and yummy baked goods, to household items like candles, cinnamon sticks, and other seasonal decorations. Even the air smells like crisp fall leaves, fresh rain, apples, and other things that contribute to the autumn smells.

6. The seasonal beverages.

Speaking of seasonal food and drinks, let’s talk about the beverages!  Fall brings out a fantastic array seasonal drinks! Coffee shops have plenty of fall-like beverages or specialty drinks, such as the infamous P.S.L. (Pumpkin Spiced Latte), Salted Caramel Mocha, Hot Apple Cider, Pumpkin Macchiato, various flavors of hot cocoa, and many more. Hot or iced, the flavors are endless, and the overall capacity for coffee is never-ending. Take advantage of this time of year to treat yourself to one of these wonderful fall beverages. Whether you’re at home reading a book, or you’re out with friends, warm (or iced) beverages can be enjoyed anywhere you go!

7. The delicious fall food. 

Now fall drinks are one thing; but the food this season is something you cannot miss out on! As we store away our grills, we can pull out the crockpots and slow-cookers to start preparing for the season of comfort foods. Get out your flannels, it’s time to go apple picking!  Fall is the best time for baking, cooking, and of course, eating! Autumn introduces a number of favorites, such as caramel apples, apple cider donuts, chocolate chip cookies, and many flavors of pie. While we get to indulge in the many sweet treats, we can also appreciate the home-cooked meals including squash, roasted vegetables, soup, and even pumpkin dishes. Once again, the options are seemingly endless.

8. The fun of fall activities.

With cooler weather arriving, we can officially enjoy doing our favorite fall things. To start, apple picking, hayrides, and pumpkin picking are pretty vital to the season. They can even lead to more involved activities like pumpkin carving, cooking, and baking. Relaxing and being cozy are also huge aspects of the fall season. Reading books, taking bubble baths, and having movie marathons are among some of my favorites. Being active is also a significant part of fall too, like taking long walks or jogs over the crunchy leaves, taking scenic road trips, hiking with friends, roasting marshmallows over a bonfire, playing sports, and even just admiring the fall foliage are all great ways to partake in the seasonal activities.

9. The festive events. 

Along with all the fun fall activities to do, we can’t forget about the different events happening throughout the season!  In addition to cozy sweaters and apple pie, fall offers lots of exciting events to partake in. Tailgates and football games are popular fall events, especially for students. Fall festivals, theme parks, and attractions (like corn mazes and haunted houses) are also common this time of year! Let’s not forget about the holidays this season–Halloween and Thanksgiving. There are several events to participate in this season that bring friends and family together.

10. Learning to “let go”.

Last but not least, one of the most significant things about fall is the opportunity it presents for us to embrace change and let go of what no longer serves us. This season serves as a great example of how we can “let go” of the past and “break free” of what holds us back. To some, it might be sad to see the beautiful leaves fall from the trees, but if you think about it, we can gain a new perspective through this transition. 

We can learn from the trees, as they let go of their leaves and begin a new phase of life. Take this season as an opportunity to “let go” of the past, be present, and accept change in your life. Be open for new changes, opportunities, life experiences, and personal growth within your life. Reflect back and free yourself to experience a healthier, happier, and a more balanced life.

Each day is a new opportunity to create the life you want for yourself. Take each day as they come and go and be present, making the most out of now rather than missing what’s right in front on you.  These are the days we live for–enjoy the journey, with all its ups and downs. Attend some fall events, eat those chocolate chips cookies, treat yourself often, and take chances on the opportunities that you’re given. Do what makes you happy and live life fully because life is short. 

All images used were taken by the author.

Alexandria Faneuf

U Mass Amherst '21

Ali is studying Communication and Journalism major at UMass Amherst. She loves traveling, watching movies, health, fitness, acting, and writing. Ali hopes to inspire, entertain, and motivate others through her writing and content creation. Get to know her better by following her on Instagram @alimorgan413.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst