books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

10 Things UMass Students Like When They’re Drunk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There are some things we just wouldn’t do sober that you love to do with a good drunk on. When you go to UMass, maybe there’s a couple more. In no specific order, here are ten of the local favorites:

1. Making Friends in the Bathroom

Girls are at their friendliest when they’re drunk in the bathroom with other girls. Who doesn’t love being complimented on their lipstick and making best friends they’ll never see again?

2. Chanting “USA!” on Public Transportation

Or really anywhere there is a large congregation of other patriotic, drunk students. A packed bus on a Friday night is the perfect catalyst for expressing some American pride.

3. Waiting in the Cold for Baby Berk

So maybe you won’t like it, but you know you’re going to do it anyway. You’ll possibly start talking to the people in line with you too, and either A) become besties or B) try to fight them.

4. Late Night

There’s nothing like hitting up Late Night tipsy. The DC’s “all you can eat” layout becomes a challenge accepted.

5. Trying to Pet the Police Horses

They are just begging to be pet. Bad idea if you’re too far gone and catastrophic during a riot, but otherwise good, clean fun if you ask nicely.

6. Making Plans With People

You bump into one of your floormates from freshman year at a party, and the next thing you know, you’ve committed to go with them to their boyfriend’s best friend’s band’s gig next Thursday night. Oops.

7. Shouting Things in the South West Tunnel

Or clapping really loud or stomping your feet- or most likely ending up shouting “echo!” a few times in that spot right in the middle where the acoustics are ideal.

8. DJing

Regardless of what’s playing, you know you have a better song to pull up next.

9. Making Friends with Your Uber Driver

You’re drunk and they just saved you from walking home in the freezing cold; time to tell them way too much and imagine they are your new best friend.

10. Talking about the Zoo

“Nobody parties like the animals at the Zoo!” or “Our BAC is higher than your GPA!” or “We pregame harder than they party!”. When a UMass kid starts drinking, a lot of us like to talk about UMass kids’ drinking, mainly about how much harder we go than everyone else.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Mia Brugnoli-Ensin

U Mass Amherst

I'm Mia and I'm a student studying communications and psychology at UMass Amherst.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst