10 Things To Do This Fall To Feel Like a Kid Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The best part about the fall season for me is all of the nostalgic activities. From baking pies with family and friends to gathering around the TV to watch your favorite horror movie, fall is a time to be cozy, get scared and be thankful for those around you. Here is a list of activities you have to do this fall to make you feel like you are a kid again.

1. Cuddle up and Watch a Movie

Personally, one of my favorite things to do as a kid when the days got shorter and cooler was to get my family and turn on the classics. While snacking on some caramel popcorn and candy, here were my personal favorites growing up that I believe everyone should watch.

Harry Potter – While the Harry Potter films are not directly linked to any fall activities, nothing is better than going on a movie marathon binge and enjoying all the magic and memories that come up from when you were younger and wished you could be a witch or wizard.

The Nightmare Before Christmas – While Christmas is in the name, The Nightmare Before Christmas is an animated Disney Halloween classic from 1993 that is sure to make you feel like a child cuddling up under a blanket with some hot cocoa.

Ghostbusters – Who are you going to call?! GHOSTBUSTERS! If you’ve never yelled that as a kid, then watching this is a must. If you are like me and have that chant ingrained in your mind, rewatching this old classic is always enjoyable.

The Addams Family – October would be a bust without being able to watch The Addams Family at least once. The family is goofy and scary all at the same time. They don’t fit in at all with the world around them, but it is hard not to love them since they always have what they think is their best intention at heart.

Charlie Brown Thanksgiving – A short and sweet classic that is just like how it sounds, all of Charlie Brown’s friends coming over a Thanksgiving feast. This classic is filled with cute and funny moments that is good for younger siblings or just to feel nostalgic.

2. Go Apple Picking, Then Bake

The best way to get out as the air is turning crisp is to grab some apples and bake some crisp yourself! Going to a local farm or apple orchard and picking out your favorite apples (mine are Cortland) and then spending the night baking is a way to fill up a fall day. Not only do you get to spend time with those you love, but you also will get a delicious dessert (whether it be apple crisp or pie). If you have a sweet-tooth, making caramel apples are always a go-to!

3. Go on a Hayride

With younger siblings or just a group of college friends, going on a hay ride it is a fall must. You can get a ride around a farm, or if you want a more thrilling ride, you could go on a haunted hayride. Either way, a hay ride is the perfect way to spend a beautiful fall day.

4. Visit a Pumpkin Patch, Then Carve Them

As Halloween is coming up around the corner you cannot forget the hours you spent as a kid carving pumpkins to be as scary (or as cute) as possible to put out on your front porch for trick-or-treaters coming by. This all starts with going to a nearby pumpkin patch and picking the best looking pumpkin! (Taking some cute photos never hurts either.) As a plus, you can roast the pumpkin seeds as a delicious treat or use the “guts” to make pumpkin pie or pumpkin bread!

5. Go for a Hike

As the leaves are turning colors and the air makes for ideal hiking weather (at least in my opinion, not too hot not too cold), going on a hike is a great choice. You get a workout in, you can go alone or with family and friends, and you get amazing views as the trees are turning to a vivid red, orange, and yellow. 

6. Watch (or Play) Football!

The American classic is to sit back and turn on a football game or to play one yourself! Grabbing friends and setting up a flag football game is also a classic fall game. If you prefer to sit on the bench making some buffalo chicken dip (or any delicious dip), getting into some football fanatics and watching your favorite team is always fun.

7. Walk Through an Arboretum 

Another way to appreciate the beauty of fall is by going to an arboretum. If you have a furry friend, it is a great activity to bring them along, and it allows both of you to get some exercise. It even gives you a chance for some photos with the beautiful background!

8. Go to a Haunted House

You can’t do Halloween right without going to a haunted house. Even though as a kid it may have terrified me to my core every year, I kept coming back. Grab your most brave friends and find the closest haunted house to make a memorable night. Just always be sure to watch your back.

9. Hand Paint Turkey and Write What You Are Grateful For

Nothing screams Thanksgiving memories as much as making some classic hand turkeys. Every year without fail, right before Thanksgiving break, my school always did this craft. I find making hand turkeys and writing what you are grateful for with your family is a great way to show gratitude and bring everyone closer together.

10. Jump in a Leaf Pile

Nothing screams fall like raking for hours to create the biggest leaf pile to then jump into. Ever since I could remember, my family would make piles taller than I am to jump into, hide toys inside, and have a leaf fight.

These activities always put a smile on my and my friends’ faces. They allow time to get outside, bake some yummy dishes, and they give me an excuse to be with those I love. So if you are ever looking for something to do on one fall day, any of these options are sure to bring that nostalgic feeling.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Chloe Hopkins

U Mass Amherst '23

Chloe is a Senior at UMass Amherst majoring in Mathematics and is getting her minor in Education. Chloe is in the CTEP program at UMass to get her masters in Elementary Education. She loves animals and has her own black lab named Hero at home. Chloe loves to workout, write poetry, and go on hikes.